Parkman Plaza was named after Dr. George Parkman, Jr. who, upon his death in 1908, donated $5 million for the preservation of Boston Common and other city parks. Located on Tremont street, Parkman Plaza marks the beginning of the Boston Freedom Trail. The plaza’s Visitor Center provides free maps for following the historic walking tour of Boston and a red line painted on the ground marks the trail. In 1961, three statues were dedicated to Parkman Plaza, meant to depict three traits of Bostonian life. The statues create a semi circle around the plaza. On the south side of the plaza, a statue of a young boy on his knees, hands lifted to heaven depict Boston’s religious roots. The west side has a statue of a man drilling for industry. The north side is labeled learning shows a young boy sitting on top of a globe, reading a book.
The Parkman Bandstand was named for one of the Boston Common’s greatest benefactors, George Francis Parkman Jr., who died in 1908 and left $5 million for the care of the Common and other city parks. The bandstand was originally dedicated in 1912 and was restored in 1996. It still hosts small events such as midday concerts, theatrical productions, weddings and speeches (Obama in 2007). Annually, the Boston Freedom Rally is held at Parkman Bandstand, the second largest rally calling for the reform of marijuana laws in the United States. The Commonwealth Shakespeare Company puts on free plays from Parkman Bandstand, drawing as many as 100,000 theater-lovers into the park every summer.
Boston Common History Map & brochure produced by the City of Boston link: