The Parkman Bandstand was named for one of the Common’s greatest benefactors, George Francis Parkman Jr., who died in 1908 and left $5 million for the care of the Common and other city parks. The bandstand was originally dedicated in 1912 and was restored in 1996. It still hosts small events such as midday concerts, theatrical productions, weddings and speeches (Obama in 2007). Annually, the Boston Freedom Rally is held at Parkman Bandstand, the second largest rally calling for the reform of marijuana laws in the United States. The Commonwealth Shakespeare Company puts on free plays from Parkman Bandstand, drawing as many as 100,000 theater-lovers into the park every summer.
Boston Common History Map & brochure produced by the City of Boston link:
George Parkman – pencil sketch
George Parkman donated his townhouse @ 33 Beacon Street, Boston (known as The Parkman House) and $ 5 Million in 1908 to the City of Boston for the perpetual maintenance of the Boston Common. Shortly thereafter the City erected The Parkman Bandstand and The Parkman Plaza consisting of 3 statues both located at the Boston Common which is America’s oldest park established in 1659. George Parkman was a Harvard graduate that was murdered by Harvard Professor Daniel White Webster. It was the first time in American history that circumstantial evidence was used (his ceramic dentures) to convict and hang a man. PBS TV made a documentary about this murder that may be watched on http://www.youtube.com
The Partnership of Historic Bostons: