Parkman Plaza marks the beginning of the Boston Freedom Trail on Tremont street at the Boston Common. The Boston Common was founded in 1634 and is America’s oldest park. The Freedom Trail is two and a half miles long.
Freedom Trail Visitor Center at Parkman Plaza at the Boston Common.
Boston Common History & Map_tcm3-30691 www.cityofboston.gov
Boston Common History Map & brochure produced by the City of Boston link:
Parkman Plaza was named after Dr. George Parker Jr. who, upon his death in 1908, donated $5 million for the preservation of Boston Common and other city parks. Located on Tremont street, Parkman Plaza marks the beginning of the Boston Freedom Trail. The plaza’s Visitor Center provides free maps for following the historic walking tour of Boston and a red line painted on the ground marks the trail. In 1961, three statues were dedicated to Parkman Plaza, meant to depict three traits of Bostonian life. The statues create a semi circle around the plaza. On the south side of the plaza, a statue of a young boy on his knees, hands lifted to heaven depict Boston’s religious roots. The west side has a statue of a man drilling for industry. The north side is labeled learning shows a young boy sitting on top of a globe, reading a book.
George Parkman JR bio
Parkman Plaza – Boston Common -Religion Statue
Parkman Bandstand @ The Boston Common
The Parkman Bandstand is the second monument in Boston Common dedicated to Dr. George Parkman Jr., benefactor who donated $5 million to the preservation of Boston’s parks. Parkman Bandstand is located on the eastern side of Boston Common. It was erected in 1912 and restored as recently as 1996. Today, Parkman Bandstand is used as a gathering point, a social venue, and a spot for political rallies. In 2007, Barack Obama spoke from Parkman Bandstand during a presidential primary. Annually, the Boston Freedom Rally is held at Parkman Bandstand, the second largest rally calling for the reform of marijuana laws in the United States. The Commonwealth Shakespeare Company puts on free plays from Parkman Bandstand, drawing as many as 100,000 theater-lovers into the park every summer.
George Parkman JR bio
Parkman House – 33 Beacon Street – Boston – Mayor’s Official Reception Hall
Parkman House – Boston – 33 Beacon Street
Here lived and died George Francis Parkman 1823-1908 Remembered with enduring gratitude by the City of Boston for his bequest of a $5 million fund that secures for-ever the maintenance and improvement of the Boston Common and other public parks (Boston Common is America’s oldest Park founded in 1659). The Parkman House is next to the gold domed Boston State Capital Building (as seen at the far right center photo above & aerial photo of State Capitol the Parkman House is to the left see below).
George Parkman JR bio
Mayor Martin J. Walsh, together with Department of Neighborhood Development Director Sheila Dillon, Chief of Economic Development, John Barros, members of Boston Main Streets and community members, celebrate the Boston Main Streets volunteers and businesses of the year at the 20th Annual Boston Main Streets Award Ceremony, held at the Parkman House in Downtown Boston. Published on Jun 29, 2016
Parkman House 10 interior photos:
He was “Murdered at Harvard” and PBS made a documentary about it (link):
Parkman Bandstand – Boston Common – 1912
Parkman Bandstand – Boston Common
The Parkman Bandstand was named for one of the Common’s greatest benefactors, George Francis Parkman Jr., who died in 1908 and left $5 million for the care of the Common and other city parks. The bandstand was originally dedicated in 1912 and was restored in 1996. It still hosts small events such as midday concerts, theatrical productions, weddings and speeches (Obama in 2007).
George Parkman JR bio
George Parkman was Murdered at Harvard and PBS made a documentary about it (link):
Col. Robert Gould Shaw @ The Boston Common 1863 Civil War
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw from the movie “Glory”
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw Storming Fort Wagner, SC
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw died during the Civil War. He was the first American to serve as Colonel of a regiment of 1,000 black soldiers during the Civil War. The penalty was death if caught by the Confederate Soldiers. Shaw’s story was made into a movie called “Glory” staring Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderick. Colonel Robert Gould Shaw’s Grandmother was a Parkman, Elizabeth Willard Parkman. Monument designed by Augustus St. Gaudens who designed USA Double Eagle $20 gold coin (see below) – see movie “Glory” (above). This monument is located directly across the street from the gold domed Boston Capital Building.
The second photo is @ the Biltmore, Asheville, NC that was owned by the Vanderbilt’s who were associates of JP Morgan, Carnegie & the Peabody families. Governor Chub Peabody was Gov of Mass in 1962. Chub’s Mother was Mary Parkman Peabody who was jailed during a sit-in @ a racially segregated restaurant in St. Augustine, FL. Later Martin Luther, King, Jr. recognized her efforts.
Agustus St. Gaudens Double Eagle $20 Gold Coin – World Record Holder for a single coin set @ $7.5 million dollars @ auction in 2002. (St. Gaudens was the sculpture and designer of “The Colonel Robert Gould Shaw Memorial @ The Boston Common – above)
Samuel Parkman (August 22, 1751 – June 11, 1824) and Sarah Rogers had five children: Elizabeth (1785), Francis (1788), George (1790), Samuel (1791), and Daniel (1794). Samuel Parkman had also had six children by his previous marriage to Sarah Shaw. Samuel Parkman, George’s father and family patriarch, had bought up low-lying lands and income properties in Boston’s West End. He also founded and was part owner of the towns of Parkman, Ohio and Parkman, Maine. His sons from his first marriage oversaw theOhio properties, while his second set of boys were responsible for the Maineparcel. Samuel’s daughters inherited wealth as well. The most notable was George’s sister Elizabeth Willard Parkman, whose spouse Robert Gould Shaw (1776 – 1853), grandfather of Robert Gould Shaw (October 10, 1837 – July 18, 1863, Union Army colonel during the American Civil War), grew his wife’s share of the fortune to become the senior partner in the most powerful commercial house in a city glutted with the proceeds of the China Trade.
The eleven Parkman scions united in marriage with the Beacon Hill families of Blake, Cabot, Mason, Sturgis, Tilden, and Tuckerman. Of his eleven offspring, Samuel chose George as the one to administer the Parkman estate.
Gov Endicott Chub Peabody 1962-1964 – Mother Mary Parkman –
Governor Endicott Chub Peabody 1962-64 (oil portrait hangs in Governors Office @ State Capitol Building Boston)
Mary Parkman Peabody (Civil Rights Activist) Mother of Governor Endicott Chub Peabody 1962-64
Massachusetts Governor Endicott Peabody’s statement regarding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas,Texas.
Vice Presidential Nomination Speech Former Johnson administration employee Gov. Endicott Peabody addressed the Democratic National Convention to advocate the adoption of a Constitutional amendment allowing for the popular election of the U.S. vice president. Gov. Peabody nominated himself for the position, to nominally compete with Gov. Clinton’s vice presidential choice Sen. Albert Gore. – 1992
This oil painting above hangs in the Governors Office in the gold domed Boston State Capital Building. It was front page news around the country on April 1, 1964 when the governor’s 72 year old mother, Mary Parkman Peabody, was arrested at the Ponce de Leon Motor Lodge in St. Augustine, Florida for attempting to be served in an integrated group at a racially segregated restaurant. This made Mrs. Peabody a hero to the civil rights movement, and brought the efforts in St. Augustine—the nation’s oldest city—to national and international attention. The story of her arrest is told in many books including one by her arrest companion Hester Campbell, called Four for Freedom.
An All-American star defensive lineman for the Harvard football team, he was later inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. He was a grandson of the founder of the Groton School and Brooks School, also named Endicott Peabody. He ran for political office unsuccessfully in Massachusetts several times. In 1962 he was elected Governor, upsetting Republican Governor John Volpe by 4,431 votes out of over 2 million cast. He served a single two-year term, but in 1964, was defeated in the Democratic primary by Lieutenant Governor Francis X. Bellotti. In 1966 he ran for a seat in the United States Senate and lost by a wide margin to then-state Attorney General Edward Brooke. Also during the United States presidential election, 1960 he coordinated John F. Kennedy’s Presidential campaigns in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire
Parkman Surname arches over the Sacred Cod Fish – since 1747
Hanging over the public gallery in Massachusetts House of Representatives under the surname Parkman is the Sacred Cod fish symbolizing the importance of the fish industry in the early Massachusetts economy. It was given to the House in 1747 by a Boston merchant. The sir names that encircle the hall are of the families that were pillars of the community at the time the State Capitol Building was constructed in Boston.
Sacred Cod Fish rests under the surname of Parkman
The Sacred Cod is a carving of a codfish an Atlantic cod that rests in the chamber of the Massachusetts House of Representatives under the surname of Parkman. The Massachusetts House of Representatives is the lower house of the Massachusetts General Court, the state legislature of the U.S….The Cod that currently hangs in the building is actually the third one to be carved. The first was destroyed in a fire in 1747, the second during the Revolutionary War. Alexander Parkman was a Lieutenant & Minute Man in the American Revolution.
The American Revolutionary War , also known as the American War of Independence, was a war between Kingdom of Great Britain and revolutionaries within 13 colonies, who United States Declaration of Independence as the United States in 1776…The current cod was crafted around 1784 by an unknown artist.
The Atlantic cod is a well-known seafood belonging to the family Gadidae. It grows to two metres in length…..It represents the importance of the fishing. Fishing is the activity of hunting for fish. By extension, the term fishing is also applied to hunting for other aquatic animals such as various types of shellfish as well as squid, octopus, turtles, Edible frog and some edible marine inverteb…industry in the early history of the state.
Cod are very abundant in the waters surrounding Massachusetts.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is a U.S. state in the New England region of the Northeastern United States United States….and in 1974 it was chosen as the official state fish.
The Sacred Cod sculpture measures five feet long and is carved out of pine.
Pines are Pinophyta trees of the genus Pinus, in the family Pinaceae. There are about 115 species of pine, although different authors accept anything from 105 to 125 species…..
Samuel Parkman Gifted a Paul Revere Bell to Reverend Ebenezer Parkman’s Westborough Church – Now Rings in the Old South Meeting House Boston
THIS PAUL REVERE BELL NOW HANGS IN THE OLD SOUTH MEETING HOUSE IN BOSTON MASS ON THE FREEDOM TRAIL WHERE THE BOSTON TEA PARTY STARTED !
Samuel Parkman Gifted a Paul Revere Bell to Reverend Ebenezer Parkman’s Westborough Church
Video News Release of the 2011 Installation of an 1801 Paul Revere Bell to the steeple of Boston’s historic Old South Meeting House, a museum and National Historic Landmark where the Boston Tea Party began. For more information, visit http://www.osmh.org.
Samuel Parkman (above) also commissioned Gilbert Stuart to do an oil portrait of George Washington that is displayed today at The Boston Museum of Fine Arts (see page one of http://www.ParkmanGenealogy.wordpress.com )
Paul Revere – Patriot & Silver Smith
Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride – The British Are Coming !
Paul Revere’s house in Boston
Old South Meeting House – Boston – Mass
Old South Interior
Paul Revere Bell @ Old South
Old South Plaque
Old South – National Register Historic Landmark – plaque
Old South is on The Freedom Trail (as is Copp’s Hill Cemetery where William Parkman is buried)
Paul Revere & Son – Cannon Foundry Trade Card
“Paul Revere Ride” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow – Statue
Paul Revere Statue @ Old North Church Boston
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere – One if by land two if by Sea – The British are Coming
1801 Paul Revere Bell @ Old South
Boston Mayor Menino & James Storrow @ Old South
Emily Curran Ex. Dir. @ Old South
Raising @ Old South
On display @ Old South
On display @ Old South
The new bell wheel @ Old South
Raising @ Old South
Contrast of old bell and modern sky scraper @ raising @ old South
Samuel Parkman Donated a Paul Revere Bell to Reverend Ebenezer Parkman’s Westborough Church (Sam was Eb’s son)
Paul Revere Bell Returns to Boston
Here’s the moment we were all waiting for! The 1801 Paul Revere bell was lifted to the steeple of Old South Meeting House on Sunday, October 16, at 2pm! Thanks to the teams at Northland Restoration, Marr Eqiupment Company, Wendell Kalsow and Associates, and The Clock Shop. And, of course, our most heartfelt thanks to the Storrow Family and to Jeff Makholm for their generosity.
One of 46 surviving bells made by Paul Revere’s foundry before his death found a new home at Boston’s Old South Meeting House, the famed place where the Boston Tea Party began. The 876-pound Paul Revere bell, made in 1801, was acquired from the First Baptist Church of Westborough, Massachusetts. The bell was connected to the original 1766 tower clock and will once again ring out the hour as it did in Colonial Boston.
To view Multimedia News Release, go to http://www.multivu.com/mnr/52292-historic-paul-revere-bell-now-at-boston-s-ol…
“Let Freedom Ring!”
A Paul Revere Bell comes to
Old South Meeting House
ON JUNE 24, 2011, AN 1801 PAUL REVERE BELL WAS CAREFULLY
lowered from the belfry of the white clapboard First Baptist Church of
Westborough and placed on a truck to begin a journey to its new home
in Boston: the Old South Meeting
House. 210 years earlier, the same
bell had made the reverse journey
from Boston to Westborough in the
back of a horse-drawn wagon.
Old South Meeting House presents
The story of this remarkable bell began with
Samuel Parkman, one of Boston’s wealthiest
merchants. Parkman had grown up in
Westborough as the 12th child of the Reverend
Ebenezer Parkman. His father had served as
Westborough’s minister for 58 years as the
small Puritan parish grew into a thriving New
England village. Samuel Parkman had gone on
to make a fortune in real estate and in 1801, at
the age of 50, he decided to commission a bell
for the town’s meeting house.
To order a fitting new bell, Samuel Parkman
went to the foundry of Boston patriot and
silversmith Paul Revere, at the corner of Foster
and Lynn Streets in the city’s North End. Paul
Revere had opened the foundry in 1788, and his
earliest cast iron items were window weights,
grates, firebacks and stove components. By
1792, he went on to make cannons and his first
church bell. By 1801, he had mastered the art of
bell casting and his Boston bells were the pride
of New England.
A Bell Raising
October 14-16, 2011
Join us for activities and
programming honoring the
On August 14, 1801, Mr. Parkman paid $389.33
for an 876 pound bell, the 48th church bell
created by Paul Revere’s Bell and Cannon
Foundry. Revere often brought his clients to the
yard of his Charter Street house to test their new
bells. One can imagine the dapper Parkman and
the craftsman Revere standing next to a freshly
polished bronze bell hearing its solemn tone for
the first time. (FALL 2011 • VOLUME)
Although bell casting was a
small part of Revere’s foundry
operations, it was far more
complicated than simple
books, correspondence, and
bank books from the foundry
outline in great detail the
daily operations of this
unique enterprise. The Revere
Company made over 900 bells
of all sizes from 1792 through
the 1840s, from hand bells
weighing a few pounds to
massive church bells weighing
over 2000 pounds.
bells were the most difficult to
cast, often weighing more than
500 pounds. They were cast
from bell metal, a particular
hard form of bronze usually
made of 78% copper and
Church bells were vital to
the community as a means
of communication and were
held in the highest esteem as
technological and auditory
wonders. No two church
bells ever sounded the same,
and some towns came to
recognize the unique tone of
each church’s bell.
Robert Martello writes in
Midnight Ride, Industrial
Dawn, with the production of
bells, “Revere could serve his
religion, his society, and his
bank account at the same time.”
In 1801, no steeple, belfry, or
other structure penetrated the
sky of Westborough above the
height of an average roof. In
order to accept the generous
gift of a new bell, the town
added a steeple to their
meeting house, the first home
of the Paul Revere bell.
The people of Westborough
came to rely on their bell in its
very first years of service in the Old Meetinghouse. The
bell was rung on the Sabbath
at 9:30 am and again when the
minister walked to the pulpit
to begin services. In 1807 the
town voted to ring the bell
each night at 9 pm in service
to the wider community.
Paul Revere bell was used
first by the First Church of
Westborough, then by the
First Baptist Church, and over
the years, both congregations
moved the bell to a series
of structures. The bell was
sold to the Baptist Society in
December of 1849 for a sum of
$173.00, less than half of what
Mr. Parkman paid in 1801.
In 1938, a forceful hurricane
blew the steeple off of the
First Baptist Church on West
Main Street, tossing the steeple
and its bell into the cemetery
across the road. The well-made
bell was unharmed.
In October, the bell will be
lifted into the belfry of Old
South Meeting House and
carefully connected to a
finely crafted new bell wheel
and the historic 1766 Gawen
Brown tower clock by a team
The bell is delivered to its new
home, Old South Meeting House,
on June 25, 2011.
The generous support of the
Storrow Family has ensured
that the 1801 Paul Revere
Bell originally created for
Westborough has found a
permanent home at the Old
South Meeting House. The
bell has been on exhibit at
Old South Meeting House all
summer, visible for a limited viewing.
1801 Paul Revere Bell will
begin a new chapter in its
storied life, ringing from the
tower of one of Boston’s most
famous historical sites. For the
first time in over 135 years, a
bell will ring out from the Old
South Meeting House once
again, recreating the sounds
of colonial Boston for millions
who pass by today.
Paul Revere @ First Baptist Church Westborough
(The restoration team gets a close look at the headstock,
which supports the bell and attaches it to its wheel.)
(The bell is lowered from the belfry
of the First Baptist Church in
Westborough on June 23, 2011.)
REMOVING PAUL REVERE BELL FROM FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH WESTBOROUGH MASS 2011
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH STEEPLE DAMAGED AFTER 1938 HURRICANE AND PAUL REVERE BELL LANDED UNDAMAGED
Westborough First Baptist Church the day the Paul Revere Bell was removed. Church closed in 2007 and bell removed in 2011.
Parkman Westborough history:
Reverend Ebenezer Parkman’s Diary (published by the University Press of Virginia) :
The Journey of the Paul Revere Bell: Part 1
This video chronicles the removal of the 1801 Paul Revere bell from the First Baptist Church of Westborough, Massachusetts, on its journey to a new home at Old South Meeting House in Boston, Massachusetts.
Scenes were filmed by OSMH staff on June 23, 2011.
Featured music by The Beggar Boys.
The last time the Paul Revere Bell rang in Westborough, Mass before trip to Boston’s Old South Meeting House
Westborough Paul Revere Bell is Bound for Boston
Historical bell to ring out in revered revolutionary gathering place.
By Trish Reske Email the author June 9, 2011
The 876-pound bell originally cast by silversmith and patriot Paul Revere will soon be taking a historic ride from the First Baptist Church belfry in Westborough to its new home at the Old South Meeting House in Boston.
Known as the place where the Boston Tea Party began in 1773, the landmark Old South Meeting House has operated as a non-profit museum since 1877 and continues to be a thriving public gathering space for freedom of speech. The First Baptist Church has reached an agreement with Old South Meeting House on the purchase of the bell.
“We’ve been working on restoration of the Meeting House Tower and its magnificent 1766 Tower Clock,” said Emily Curran, executive director at the Old South Meeting House. “As part of that restoration we had very much wanted to return a bell to the tower. Old South Meeting House has not had a bell since 1876, for over 100 years. We had started to make plans to have a new bell cast, when we heard about the historic bell in Westborough. It’s very exciting.”
According to the Westborough Historical Commission, the Westborough bell is one of only 26 bells known to be cast by Paul Revere himself, and one of only ten whose whereabouts have been documented to date.
“The Westborough bell is older than the bell that’s currently at the Paul Revere house,” remarked Paula Skogg of the Historical Commission. “If it can’t stay in Westborough then this is the very best place it could possibly be going, back to Boston to the oldest clock tower in the country,” she added.
While details of the moving and installation of the bell are still underway, the hope is to move the bell to Boston within the month.
“As a museum and historic site, we are very mindful of the unique history of the Westborough Paul Revere Bell, and will preserve both the bell and its history here in Boston for generations to come,” said Curran. She added that the Old South Meeting House plans to invite the people of Westborough to special events that will celebrate the bell and its history.
Once installed in the restored tower, the Tower Clock will strike the bell hourly, ringing out in the streets of Boston.
“This bell is really going to be heard by a huge number of people. It will be well-loved and well-used,” said Curran.
“It’s like returning Paul Revere to Boston in the form of the bell,” said Dave Nelson, chairman of the Board of Trustees of the former First Baptist Church. “It’s going to be an important moment in Westborough history as well as Boston.”
Established 1659 Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, Boston – National Register of Historic Places.
Copp’s Hill Cemetery is on The Freedom Trail – Boston
Here Lyes Buried
The Body of
Mr. William Parkman
Aged 72 Years Dec’d
Here lyes buried the body of Mrs. Elizabeth Parkman the virthous & pious comfort of Mr. William Parkman aged 83 years __ months __ days __date.
Birth: Sep. 21, 1660
Massachusetts, USADeath: Apr. 13, 1746
Alexander Adams (1615 – 1677)
Mary Coffin Adams (1621 – 1691)
William Parkman (____ – 1730)
John Parkman (____ – 1727)*
Copps Hill Burying Ground
Created by: Thomas A Hawkins
Record added: Feb 27, 2004
Find A Grave Memorial# 8449256
John Parkman, son of William and Elizabeth Parkman buried in Gloucester
||Mar. 27, 1727, At Sea
Died Mar. 27, 1727
He was the son of William and Elizabeth Parkman, of Boston and master of a brig belonging at Boston. He died on his return voyage from the West Indies, he drowned at Normans Woe. He was aged 30 years at the time of his death [aged 33 years per gravestone inscr.]. (Vital Records of GLOUCESTER, MA to the end of the year 1849).NOTE: Family links have been added at the request of other members. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of these links as in most of the cases there is no marker proving burial at the indicated location. Use them in your research at your own risk.Family links:
William Parkman (____ – 1730)
Elizabeth Adams Parkman (1660 – 1746)Spouse:
Abigail Fairfield Parkman (1698 – 1777)*
Note: Stone is buried too deep to read dates. Dates given by member from Gloucester VR
First Parish Burial Ground
|Created by: Kenneth Gilbert
Record added: Jul 15, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 54993751
Ebenezer Parkman was born in Boston, Sept. 5, 1703. His father
was Wm. Parkman, who in 1680 married Elizabeth Adams, also of
Boston. She is buried on Copp’s Hill— dying on the 13th of April,
1746. Wm. Parkman had died sixteen years earlier, Nov. 30, 1730.
He was born in Salem, where his father Elias had settled, in 1658.
This Elias, born in 1635, was also the son of Elias Parkman, who
had come among the earliest settlers to New England, and grand-
son of Thomas Parkman, of Sidmouth, Devon, England.
Ebenezer Parkman was admitted to Harvard College in 1717,
when he was fourteen years old, and graduated in 1721. The
next year he taught school in Newton, living with the brother Elias,
whom he mentions in the first part of the Journal. This brother
was a mastmaker, and in 1728 an advertisement appears in a local
paper : —
“April I. Mr. Henrj’ Richards wants to sell a parcel of likely negro boys
and one negro girl, arrived from Nevis, and were brought from Guinea. To be
seen at the house of Mr. Elias Parkman, mastmaker, at the North End.”
As the Rev. Ebenezer purchased a slave boy, Maro, in August of
that year, it is very possible that he vi^as one of this “parcel.”
Maro lived only a little more than a year at the Westborough par-
sonage, and Mr. Parkman writes under date of Dec. 6, 1728 : ” Dark
as it has been with us, it became much Darker abt ye Sun Setting.
The .Sun of Maro’s life Sat. The first Death in my Family! God,
enable me to see thy Sovereign mind and comport with his holy
This brother Elias and his wife are both buried on Copp’s Hill,
dying in 1741 and 1746.
Mr. Parkman’s son Elias was undoubtedly named for this favorite
brother, and indeed most of his children bore the names of his
brothers and sisters— Mary, Elizabeth, William, Sarah, Susannah,
Alexander, Samuel, John, and Elias being names common to each.
William Parkman’s family & pedigree:
BOSTON, America’s oldest (1650s) and most historic cemetery at Copp’s Hill (USA): Let’s go for a walk around Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, which is a historic cemetery in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts. Established in 1659, it was originally named “North Burying Ground”, and It contains more than 1200 marked graves, including the remains of various notable Bostonians from the colonial era into the 1850s. Enjoy!! Vic Stefanu, email@example.com
This short film shows Copp’s Hill Burial Ground (or Burying Ground),which was founded in 1659 in Boston, Massachusetts. The video also depicts Old North Church where Paul Revere was notified by lantern that the British were coming. In the distance is the Charles River, Boston Harbor and the Zakim Bridge. Also seen in the Puritan Cemetery are the graves and tombs of Cotton Mather, Increase Mather, 17th Puritan Christian ministers and Prince Hall, founder of the African American Masons, named after him.
Name: William Parkman
Birth: 29 MAR 1658 in Salem, Essex, MA
Death: 28 NOV 1730 in Boston, Suffolk, MA
The Bostonian Society Publications, Volume: 11
Author-Bostonian society, Boston.
Publisher: Boston State House, 1884
Among the apprentices who received their education in shipbuilding from Alexander Adams was William Parkman. He was the son of Elias Parkman and his wife Sarah Trask, and the grandson of Elias and Bridget Parkman, who came to Dorchester in 1633.
William Parkman was born in Salem, Mass., March 29th, 1658. On May 18th, 1680, he married Elizabeth Adams, the daughter of Alexander Adams. After his
marriage, he sometimes went with his father on voyages to Curacao and elsewhere, but he lived with his father- in-law, built vessels in the same shipyard with him, and in the end succeeded him in the business. Could we trace the other twenty-nine apprentices, no doubt we would find some of them in the shipbuilding business ; for in the latter part of the seventeenth century there were sixteen shipyards in Boston.
In the later years of his life William Parkman devoted most of his time to the manufacturing of masts for ships, and we then find him referred to as a mast merchant. He died of apoplexy, November 28th, 1730, and was succeeded in the business by his son, William Parkman, who was so prominent in the New North Church, and was one of its first elders, and who, on September 2d, 1743, became the Presiding or Ruling Elder. He lived in the house on Ship Street which had been the home of Alexander Adams.
William Parkman and his wife, Elizabeth Adams, had twelve children, one of whom was the Rev. Ebenezer Parkman of Westborough, the father of Samuel Parkman, the rich merchant of Boston, from whom came the Parkman millions.
The house in which Alexander Adams, and later the Parkmans lived, was for years called the ” Ancient Mansion,” sometimes the ” Ancient Parkman Mansion,” because William Parkman, a grandson of William and Elizabeth Parkman, finally bought out all the other
heirs. It was a large square wooden house, and was located on Ship Street, although some records state that it was on Battery Street. In the early days however there was no Battery Street, although there was a Battery Alley, which was also called Battery Lane. The location of the house was, therefore, apparently on the corner of Ship Street and Battery Lane, which in time came to be called Battery Street. The mansion remained in the possession of the Parkman family till about 1880, and stood all the time from the days of Alexander Adams to that date, with the front door opening at the side on the yard, and the shingles growing blacker and blacker, and never putting on the modern fashion of paint. It was then sold and made into a store, but in 1894 Battery Street was widened, and the house which had been the home of Alexander Adams, of William Parkman, and of Rev. Ebenezer Parkman, gave way to the spirit of improvement and was no more.
Genealogy of the early generations of the Coffin family in New England
Authors-Silvanus Jenkins Macy, Nathaniel Wheeler Coffin, William Sumner Appleton
Publisher-David Clapp & Son, 1870
vi. Mary, b. in England; in. Alexander Adams; had five children : Samuel, b. in 1656, John, Mary, Susannah, and Elizabeth, who m. William Parkman, of Boston.
Husband William Parkman 24
Born: 19 Mar 1658 – Salem, Massachusetts Bay
Died: 28 Jan 1730 – Boston, Massachusetts 26
Buried: – Copp’s Hill cemetery, Boston
Father: Elias Parkman (1635-1691)
Mother: Sarah Trask (Cir 1636-1696)
Marriage: 18 May 1680 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
Wife Elizabeth Adams 24 26
Born: 21 Sep 1660 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
Christened: 1 Oct 1660
Died: 13 Apr 1746 – Boston, Massachusetts
Father: Alexander Adams (1620-1678) 26
Mother: Mary Coffin (1621-1691)
1 F Mary Parkman 26
Born: 25 Feb 1680 – Nantucket
Died: 9 Sep 1730
2 F Sarah Parkman 26
Born: 5 Apr 1684 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
Died: 10 Feb 1711
3 M William Parkman 26
Born: 19 Dec 1685 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
4 M Elias Parkman 26
Born: 27 Feb 1688 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
Died: 24 May 1781 – Roxbury, Massachusetts
5 F Elizabeth Parkman 26
Born: 12 Sep 1690 – Boston, Massachusetts Bay
Died: 1 Sep 1727
6 F Susanna Parkman 26
Born: 4 Sep 1692 – Boston, Massachusetts
Died: 28 Jan 1740
7 M John Parkman 26
Born: 19 Jan 1693 – Boston, Massachusetts
Died: 27 Mar 1727 – Massachusetts
8 M Samuel Parkman 26
Born: 19 Nov 1695 – Boston, Massachusetts
9 M Alexander Parkman 24
Born: 23 May 1699 – Boston, Massachusetts
Died: 6 Mar 1748 – Boston, Massachusetts
Spouse: Hester Wilkins (1690-Between 1727/1737) 24
Marr: 1 Oct 1725 – Boston, Massachusetts
Spouse: Hannah Breck ( – ) 24
Marr: 1 Sep 1737
10 M Rev. Ebenezer Parkman 24 26
Born: 5 Sep 1703 – Boston, Massachusetts
Died: 9 Dec 1782 – Westborough, Massachusetts
Spouse: Mary Champney & Hannah Breck (Est 1706- )
In 1775 this house was occupied by British troops, the Gallop [or Galloupe] family retiring to Saugus. During the Battle of Bunker Hill General Gage made this his staff headquarters,—a convenient place for the purpose, being near his battery yet somewhat under cover of the hill. Mr. William Parkman remembers hearing his grandmother, who lived near by at the time, often speak of this house as having been occupied, on that eventful day, by “old Gage,” as she called him. Several other persons have confirmed the tradition.
More about William Parkman:
Categories: US President Direct Ancestor.
Elizabeth Adams and William Parkman are ancestors of U.S. President Calvin Coolidge.
- Roberts, Gary Boyd; Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009.
Mary Coffin Adams – Copp’s Hill Cemetery – Boston, MA
Alexander Adams, Copp’s Hill Cemetery, Boston, MA
Here lyeth buried ye body of Alexander Adams aged 62 years died ye 15th day of January 1677
Murder of Dr. George Parkman – Harvard Alumnae – 1849
At 33 Beacon Street is the George Parkman House, its gracious facade hiding more than a few secrets. One of the first sensational “trials of the century” involved the murder of Dr. George Parkman, a wealthy landlord and Harvard benefactor. He was bludgeoned to death in 1849 by Dr. John Webster, a Harvard medical professor and neighborhood acquaintance who allegedly became enraged by Parkman’s demands that he repay a personal loan. At the conclusion of the trial, the professor was hanged; he’s buried in an unmarked grave on Copp’s Hill in the North End. Parkman’s son lived in seclusion in this house overlooking the Common until he died in 1908. The building is now used for civic functions. PBS TV produced a documentary about this murder that is for sale.
George Parkman JR bio
Parkman Murder on Beacon Hill Walking Cinema
(Cellphone Interactive GPS Tour & MOVIE):
George Parkman Game:
Soliloquy of Professor John Whit Webster, after the murder of Doctor George Parkman up to the time of his execution…..by Mary G. Doe.
The Teeth & Cast above of Doctor George Parkman murdered @ Harvard:
Dr. George Parkman – “The Pedestrian”
Called “The Pedestrian” by one Boston newspaper, Dr. George Parkman was famous for his regular daily walks through town to collect rent and loan payments. He did not even own a horse, though he could have easily afforded one, coming from one of the richest families in Boston. His habits were so regular that when he failed to meet his wife for lunch November 23, 1849, it was impossible to imagine anything but foul play. Equally impossible to imagine was that the perpetrator was someone from his own social class. When his killer was found to be a former Harvard classmate and current Harvard professor, it became a society crime with a public following to rival America’s greatest celebrity murders.
Date: November 23, 1849
Location: Cambridge, MA
Victim: Dr. George Parkman
Cause of Death: Stabbing
Accused: Dr. John White Webster
Dr. George Parkman was a man of regular habits. Every day he could be seen walking through Beacon Hill and Boston’s West End where he owned a number of rental properties. His daily routine was so predictable that his neighbors said they could set their watches by the sight of his gaunt figure rushing past. Every afternoon at 2:00 pm he met his wife for lunch. When he failed to keep this appointment on Friday, November 23, 1849, and did not return home that evening, his family suspected foul play.
That afternoon he had planned to see Dr. John Webster, a professor of chemistry at the Harvard Medical College, to discuss repayment of a loan. Dr Webster had been borrowing money, putting up his possessions as collateral. He had borrowed money from Robert Gould Shaw, Parkman’s brother-in-law and business partner, using his mineral collection as collateral. Parkman was livid when he learned this because he had already loaned Webster money against the same mineral collection.
George Parkman and John Webster were both members of Boston’s privileged class—the class that would later be called “Boston Brahmans”— and had known each other since childhood. They had been classmates at Harvard, graduating two years apart, and Parkman had helped Webster get his position teaching there. But in appearance and attitude the two could not have been more different. Parkman was tall and slender, while Webster was short and stout. Parkman was energetic, but austere and frugal to the extreme; Webster, though somewhat dull as a professor was amiable and fond of food, drink and good company. Terrible at managing money, Webster was constantly in debt; a growing concern with three daughters approaching marrying age. He owed more than $2400 and his annual salary was $1200.
Parkman had studied medicine in Europe with a particular interest in mental illness. He returned to Boston anxious to implement his ideas on treatment of the mentally ill. Though he helped organize and finance the McLean Hospital, he was passed over for the office of director. Devastated by the rejection, Parkman gave up medicine and took over the family business in real estate and lending.
Dr. Parkman was last seen at the Harvard Medical College that Friday. On Saturday his family printed flyers offering a $3000 reward for information leading to his discovery. Dr. Webster came forward and confirmed that he had met with Dr. Parkman on Friday and had, in fact, paid off one of his loans.
After meeting with Parkman, Dr. Webster had supper at a restaurant and went home. That evening went with his family to a party where he enjoyed himself with his neighbors, playing whist and discussing the affairs of the day, including the disappearance of Dr. Parkman. In the days following Parkman’s disappearance here was nothing unusual in Dr. Webster’s behavior, with on exception. Webster had a long discussion with the Ephraim Littlefield, the janitor at the medical college, concerning Dr. Parkman’s visit to the college on November 23. It was more than the two men had spoken in the twenty years of working at the same college. He also gave Littlefield a turkey for thanksgiving, something he had never done before.
Littlefield and his wife lived in an apartment next to Dr. Webster’s laboratory. He made a small salary cleaning the professors’ labs and offices, which he augmented by supplying professors and students with corpses for dissection. It was not clear whether he purchased the corpses from “resurrectionists” or dug them up himself.
What Littlefield remembered about November 23 was that Dr. Wagner had kept his laboratory door locked all afternoon and that the fire in his furnace was so hot it could be felt through the wall. Littlefield was in the laboratory when the police came to question Dr. Wagner and noticed that the door to his privy was locked. When the police asked what was behind the door Wagner directed their attention elsewhere.
Access to the privy was shared by the dissecting room next door. It had an opening to brick vault below the basement of the building and was used to dispose of body parts when the students were finished dissecting. Littlefield was convinced that Dr. Wagner had murdered Dr. Parkman in his laboratory chopped him up and disposed of the pieces in the privy. Working on Thanksgiving Day and the day after, while his wife kept lookout, Littlefield took borrowed tools into the crawlspace under the basement and chipped threw several layers of brick on the privy vault. When he finally broke though and shone a lantern through the hole, he saw a man’s pelvis with genitals still attached and part of a leg. He knew the students had not been dissecting that week; it had to be Dr. Parkman.
Marshal Turkey of the Boston police was notified of the find and the marshal brought a contingent of policemen to the college. They extracted the body parts from the vault and searched Dr. Wagner’s laboratory finding charred bones in the doctor’s furnace and more body parts in a tea chest in a room adjoining the laboratory. The body parts were shown to Dr. Parkman’s wife who identified them as her husband’s remains from some markings on the skin and the extreme hairiness of the body.
The police went to Dr. Wagner’s home and he agreed to accompany them to the Harvard Medical School to answer some more questions. They took him instead to the Boston jail where he was arrested for the murder of Dr. Parkman.
Trial: March 19, 1850
The trial of Dr. Wagner received national and even international coverage, taking on the characteristics of the celebrity trials of the 20th Century. 60,000 Bostonians came to the courthouse to view the trial and they were admitted to the courtroom in ten minute shifts.
The prosecution had the daunting task of proving that the remains found at the medical college were, in fact, those of Dr. Parkman. A number of doctors testified that the remains were consistent with a man of Dr. Parkman’s age, height and build, and that they were not the remains of a dissected corpse. Dr. Nathan Keep, Parkman’s dentist, testified that a piece of dental work in the jawbone found in Wagner’s furnace was, without a doubt, made by him for Dr. Parkman. The first time human remains were identified in court by dental work.
The defense countered with doctors and dentists of their own who testified that the body could not be conclusively identified and that there was nothing unique in Dr. Parkman’s dental work.
The most damaging witness for the prosecution was Ephraim Littlefield who told of overhearing Dr. Parkman angrily demand payment from Dr. Wagner. He testified that Wagner had later asked about the privy vault, whether it was possible to shine a light on what was in it. Littlefield responded that it was not, because the gasses put out the flame. And Littlefield related all of the events and suspicions that led him to investigate the vault.
At 8:00pm on March 30, 1850 the jury began deliberation; shortly after 10:00 they returned with a verdict. Dr. Wagner was found guilty and sentenced to hang.
The defense filed a writ of error, claiming the judge’s instructions to the jury were biased. The writ was denied. Webster asked for a full pardon and that was denied as well.
As the date of Dr. Wagner’s execution approached, the community – in Boston and beyond – was still divided as to his guilt. Boston authorities received letters from around the country from people opposed to hanging a man on circumstantial evidence and those generally opposed to capital punishment.
In a bid for clemency, Dr. Wagner admitted to killing Dr. Parkman but in self-defense, not premeditation. Parkman, he said, had become violently angry over the loan on the mineral collection and Wagner picked up a stick and fought him off. Had he intended to commit murder, Wagner said, he certainly would not have done it at the college.
Though petitions were circulated to commute his sentence, the request was refused. On August 30, 1850, Dr. Wagner was publically hanged. The fall broke his neck and he was dead within four minutes. He was buried in Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, in an unmarked grave to discourage grave robbers.
The case had such notoriety that when Charles Dickens came to America, one of his requests was to visit the room where George Parkman was murdered.
George Parkman JR bio
Derastus Clapp is most noted for his role in the arrest and prosecution of John White Webster for the murder of George Parkman. Derastus was America’s first was head of the first city detective bureau in the United States, located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Parkman, Samuel & U.S. President George Washington @ Boston Museum of Fine Art – 1806
Samuel Parkman commissioned Gilbert Stuart to paint a full length oil portrait of U.S. President George Washington, which Samuel later gifted to the Town of Boston in 1806 where the painting hung in the Faneuil Hall and now in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. The painting by Gilbert Stuart is of George Washington ,in Dorchester Heights, full-length in uniform, standing by a white horse, holding his bridle in his left hand and his chapeau in his right.
The full-length Washington, on the other side of the great painting, is a Gilbert Stuart. It, also, was presented to the town by Samuel Parkman, in 1806. :
Samuel Parkman commissioned Gilbert Stuart to create this life sized oil painting than hung at Faneuil Hall (see above the bottom right side painting) that now is on display at The Boston Museum of Fine Art.
Washington at Dorchester Heights
Gilbert Stuart (American, 1755–1828)
274.95 x 180.34 cm (108 1/4 x 71 in.)
MEDIUM OR TECHNIQUE
Oil on panel
Kristin and Roger Servison Gallery (Gallery 133)
The artist; commissioned for the town of Boston by Samuel Parkman, 1806; deposited by the City of Boston, 1876.
Deposited by the City of Boston
See this Video at the 1:56 minute mark filmed at Faneuil Hall in Boston where the George Washington Oil Painting by Gilbert Stuart hung at the time. (shame on Mitt Romney’s “liberal views”)
Faneuil Hall where George Washington oil portrait by Gilbert Stuart donated to the City of Boston on July 4th 1806 by Samuel Parkman is also displayed.
George Washington oil portrait by Gilbert Stuart donated on 4th July 1806 by Samuel Parkman at Faneuil Hall – see above painting at bottom right.
GILBERT STUART’S 1796 OIL PAINTING/PORTRAIT OF GEORGE WASHINGTON APPEARS ON EVERY US $1 DOLLAR BILL (SEE BOTH BELOW)
(see page 3 of this blog “Sarah Francis Lightner Brownlee” for other ties to George Washington & Thomas Jefferson mentioned below)
GEORGE WASHINGTON & THOMAS JEFFERSON LINKS TO NATURAL BRIDGE, VA:
Some believe George Washington came to the site in 1750 as a young surveyor on behalf of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. To support claims that Washington surveyed the area, some tour guides claim the initials “G.W.” on the wall of the bridge, 23 ft. up, were carved by the future president. Legend also has it that George Washington threw a rock from the bottom of Cedar Creek over the bridge. In 1927, a large stone was found, also engraved “G.W.” and bearing a surveyor’s cross, which historians accepted as proof that he indeed surveyed the bridge.
Thomas Jefferson purchased the bridge (@ Natural Bridge,VA) for $2.40 from King George III. He also built a cabin there while he was president.
King George III
Alexander Parkman – American Revolution Lieutenant & Minuteman – 1776
SAR – Sons of the American Revolution (bronze round)
This grave of Alexander & Kezia Parkman is @ the Old Westmoreland Cemetery, Oneida County, NY.