25 Immigrants to America – Parkman-England, Coffin-England-France, Adams – England, Brownlee-Scotch/Irish, Breck-England, Keinadt-Germany, Derst-Germany, Angi – Hungary, Kordos – Poland, Walbridge – England, Clap – England, Barger – Germany, Wine – Germany, Kagey – Germany, Heizer – Germany, Howe – Germany, Trask – England, Hull – England, Grant – England & Grey – England

Immigrant logo

  1. Elias Parkman, Sr. immigrated from England 

parkman elias windsor ct cofounder.jpg

elias-parkman-co-founderwindsor-ct_4.jpg

elias-parkman-co-founderwindsor-ct_3.jpg

Descendants of the founders of ancient windsor crest

coat of arms

Birth: 1622, England

Death: 1662
BIRTH: By about 1611 based on estimated date of marriage. A Mariner who came to Massachusetts Bay in 1633 & settled in Dorchester. Moved to Windsor in 1638, Saybrook by 1646, & Boston by 1648. When his inventory was taken on 20 July 1662, Elias Parkman was “supposed to be deceased,” suggesting that he had not returned from a sea voyage, and had probably died some time before that date.
Married by about 1636 Bridget _____ (she is first seen as his wife at the baptism of son Deliverance in 1651, but there is no evidence for an earlier wife). She married (2) Gloucester 6 September 1672 Sylvester Eveleth as his second wife and died after 5 February 1682.

Family links:
Spouse:
Bridget Parkman Eveleth

Children:
Elias Parkman (1635 – 1691)*
Abigail Parkman Trask (1644 – ____)*
Deliverance Parkman (1651 – 1715)*

*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Palisado Cemetery
Windsor
Hartford County
Connecticut, USA
Plot: Founders Monument
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Linda Mac
Record added: Apr 01, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 35429225

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35429225

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027882&familyTreeID=2

******************

Immigrant logo

Tristram Coffin

2. Tristram Coffin, Sr. co-founder of Nantucket immigrated from England with his sister Mary (my 11th great grandmother).

Nantucket Founders Marker

Coffin Family Tree

Coffin pedigree from 1066 England:

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/coffin-family-tree-england-to-nantucket/

Sir Richard Coffin 1456 RichardCoffinArms_HeantonPunchardonChurch

 

Birth: Mar. 11, 1609, England
Death: Oct. 2, 1681
Nantucket
Nantucket County
Massachusetts, USA

Church warden, constable, commissioner, colonist, founder of Nantucket Island, first chief magistrate of the Nantucket colony, governor of Nantucket in 1671 and 1677. He was born in Brixton parish near Plymouth, Devonshire, England in 1609. He was the oldest child of Peter Coffin and Joanna Kember. He married Dionis Stevens in 1630.Their children were:i. Peter Coffin, baptized July 18, 1630 at Brixton
ii. Tristram Coffin, b. abt. 1632 in England
iii. Elizabeth Coffin b. in England
iv. James Coffin, b. Aug. 12, 1639 in Brixton parish
v. John Coffin, b. in England
vi. Deborah Coffin, b. Nov. 15, 1642 at Haverhill, MA
vii. Mary Coffin, b. Feb. 20, 1645 at Haverhill, MA
vii. John Coffin, b. Oct. 30, 1647 at Haverhill, MA
ix. Stephen Coffin, b. May 11, 1652 at Newbury, MAHe was a church warden in Brixton in 1639-40 and a constable in 1641. In 1642, he and his family came to America and settled in Newburyport, Massachussetts. He negotiated with the American Indians for some land and moved his family to what is now Haverill, Massachusetts. He was the first white settler to plow land with a plow he had made with his own hands. After farming for a few years, he moved back to Newburyport, where he operated a ferry and kept Coffyn’s Ordinary, a tavern and inn managed by his wife. In the 1650’s, he sold his property and moved to Salisbury, where he became Commissioner.In the late 1650’s, he and a few others purchased Nantucket island from Thomas Mayhew for the price of 30 pounds and two beaver hats, which were made by his son Tristram Jr. Among the eight original owners of Nantucket island, he became the most prominent. He was granted first choice of land and in 1659, he settled on the eastern slope of what is now called Trott’s Hills, near Capaum pond, toward the western end if the island. He was a leader among the first settlers and was often asked by other inhabitants to transact important public business. He and Thomas Macy were the spokesmen for the settlement and were selected by the settlers go to New York and meet with Governor Lovelace and secure their claim to the Island in 1671. His letters to the Colonial Government of New York are preserved in the Archives of the Department of State at Albany. He built a corn mill and employed many Native Americans who were the aboriginal inhabitants of the island.In 1671, he was appointed governor of Nantucket, serving again in that office from 1674 to 1680. He died the following year and was buried on Nantucket Island on the private property he purchased in 1659 (at Trott’s Hills, near Capaum pond, toward the western end if the island.) According to the Nantucket Historical Society, the grave is unmarked and its exact location has been lost over the years.A monument was erected to honor the founders of Nantucket island in 1881. The monument is located in the Nantucket Founders Cemetery (also referred to as the First Settlers’ Burial Ground and the Forefathers’ Cemetery). The Founders Cemetery is a small plot of land located off Cliff Road and overlooking Maxcey’s Pond.While none of the founders are actually buried in the cemetery, the monument bears the names of the founders and the location is open to the public. Tristram’s name is inscribed on the monument as “1609 – Tristram Coffin – 1681.” (bio by: Cindy K. Coffin)
(bio by: Cindy K. Coffin)Family links:
Parents:
Peter Coffin (1580 – 1628)
Joanna Kember Coffin (1584 – 1661)Spouse:
Dionis Stevens Coffin (1610 – 1684)*Children:
Peter Coffin (1630 – 1715)*
Tristram Coffin (1631 – 1703)*
Elizabeth Coffin Greenleaf (1634 – 1678)*
James Coffin (1640 – 1720)*
Mary Coffin Starbuck (1645 – 1717)*
John Coffin (1647 – 1711)*Siblings:
Joanna Coffin Hull (1602 – 1632)*
Tristram Coffin (1609 – 1681)
Mary Coffin Adams (1621 – 1691)**Calculated relationship
Burial:
Founders Burial Ground *
Nantucket
Nantucket County
Massachusetts, USA
*Cenotaph [?]
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Greg Derylo
Record added: May 02, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 10904410

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=coffin&GSfn=tristram&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=10904410&df=all&

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2028133&familyTreeID=2

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/?s=Coffin

 

Immigrant logo

Mary Coffin - Mary Gardner Coffin wife of Jetro Coffin (house) grandson of Tristram Sr

3. Mary Coffin immigrated from England with his brother Tristram co-founder of England. This is actually a photo of Mary Gardner Coffin who married and lived in the Jethro Coffin House, the oldest house in Nantucket. Jethro was grandson of Tristram Coffin, Sr.

Nantucket Wives Mothers Children monument 2009 350th anniversary settlement 2

jethro-coffin-house-built-1686-nantucket-island_2.jpg

jethro-coffin-house-built-1686-nantucket-island_4.jpg

coffin jethro house nantucket oldest house 1686.jpg

Birth: Feb., 1621
Suffolk, England
Death: Sep. 18, 1691
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA

Family links:
Parents:
Peter Coffin (1580 – 1628)
Joanna Kember Coffin (1584 – 1661)

Spouse:
Alexander Adams (1615 – 1677)

Children:
Elizabeth Adams Parkman (1660 – 1746)*

Siblings:
Joanna Coffin Hull (1602 – 1632)*
Tristram Coffin (1609 – 1681)*
Mary Coffin Adams (1621 – 1691)

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Copps Hill Burying Ground
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA
Plot: Possibly Buried here?
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: Find A Grave
Originally Created by: P Fazzini
Record added: Feb 07, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65322318

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2028133&familyTreeID=2

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=65322318

**************

Immigrant logo

4. Alexander Adams immigrated from Surrey, England and married Marry Coffin above.

copps-hill-burying-ground-cemetary-boston-3

copps hill burying ground cemetary boston.jpg

Birth: 1615
Surrey, England
Death: Jan. 15, 1677
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA

Here lyeth buried ye body of Alexander Adams aged 62 years died ye 15th day of January 1677Family links:
Spouse:
Mary Coffin Adams (1621 – 1691)*Children:
Elizabeth Adams Parkman (1660 – 1746)**Calculated relationship
Burial:
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Thomas A Hawkins
Record added: Feb 24, 2004
Find A Grave Memorial# 8434303

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8434303

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2031315&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024883965/facts

 

 

***************

Immigrant logo

5. John Brownlee immigrated from Enniskillen, Iraland.

John BROWNLEE was born in 1715 in Northern Ireland. He married Sarah WILSON in 1739 in Augusta County, Virginia. They had one child during their marriage. He died in October 1800 having lived a long life of 85 years.

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027883&familyTreeID=2#

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024880604/facts

 

Brownlee are descendants of The Lairds of Torfoot Scotland:

Brownlee Laird of Torfoot Scotland

 

Brownlee marriages 1538-1854

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/4-generations-of-parkman-brownlee/

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/4-generations-of-parkman-brownlee/

*******************

Immigrant logo

6. Edward Breck immigrated from Rainford, Prescot, Lancashire, England to Dorchester, MA, USA

profile male generic

Edward Breck

Birthdate: circa 1595
Birthplace: Rainford, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Death: Died November 2, 1662 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA
Immediate Family: Son of Robert Breck and Ann Hurst
Husband of Isabelle Breck and Unknown Maiden
Father of Mary Paul; Elizabeth Breck; Hannah Blake;John Breck; Susanna Breck; Daughter Breck; Robert Breck;Daughter Breck and Elinor Breck « less
Brother of Henry Breck; Robert Breck and Samuel Breck
Half brother of Thomas Breck and John Breck

https://www.geni.com/people/Edward-Breck/6000000003017883299

Edward Breck’s pedigree and family group link:

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027987&familyTreeID=2

*************************

Immigrant logo

7. Isabelle Rigby Breck, wife of Edward Breck (above) immigrate from England:

GENI profile--female-generic.gif

Isabelle Breck (Rigby)

Birthdate: circa 1610
Birthplace: Lancashire, , England
Death: Died June 21, 1673 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA
Immediate Family: Daughter of John Rigby and Elizabeth Rigby
Wife of Edward Breck
Mother of Mary Paul; Elizabeth Breck; Hannah Blake;John Breck and Susanna Breck

 

https://www.geni.com/people/Isabelle-Breck/6000000002957991162

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2028451&familyTreeID=2

 

******************

Immigrant logo

8. Michael Keinadt – Germany

Michael Keinadt (Koiner) 1

Michael Keinadt (Koiner) 2

Michael Keinadt (Koiner) 3

Michael Keinadt (Koiner) 4

 

Michael Keinadt:

Birth: Jan. 29, 1720, Germany

Death: Nov. 7, 1796
Augusta County
Virginia, USA
Michael was born at Winterlingen Germany. He emegrated to America about 1740 and to Virginia in 1790. He was 77 years old when he died.
Michael was also a Revolutionary War soldier in Pennsylvania. He served as a Private. The Revolutionary War marker was placed by the Col. James Patton chapter of the DAR.
Inscription is written in German;
Er liegt der leib of (Micael Keinadt) Gastorben den 7 Nofember 1796 seiner alter Vahr 77 jahr.
Tue her vorieben gehet ach betrachtet meines tet
Sehet usum spet und frieh—–.
Translation; Here lies our loved one Michael Keinadt who died the 7th of November in his 77th year—-

Family links:
Spouse:
Margaret Diller Keinadt (1734 – 1813)

Children:
George Adam Koiner (1753 – 1820)*
George Michael Koiner (1758 – 1840)*
Mary Coiner Hattabaugh (1762 – ____)*
Kasper Koiner (1764 – 1856)*
Catherine Coiner Slagle (1766 – 1855)*
John Coyner (1768 – 1852)*
Martin Luther Coyner (1771 – 1842)*
Jacob Coyner (1772 – 1826)*
Philip Koiner (1776 – 1849)*

*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery
Crimora
Augusta County
Virginia, USA
Plot: Sq 30 R4 #30
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: Zachary Coiner
Originally Created by: Joan
Record added: Jul 29, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 20686404

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20686404

Michael Keinadt’s pedigree and family group:

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027910&familyTreeID=2

**********************

Abraham Derst Immigrated from Switzerland and was born in Germany:

 

Immigrant logo

9. Abraham Jacob Derst

Birth: Sep. 13, 1725, Germany
Death: 1772
Mount Jackson
Shenandoah County
Virginia, USA

Abraham Derst was born at Pfeddersheim (Worms), Germany.

Family links:
Parents:
Abraham Jacob Derst (1703 – 1739)
Anna Elisabeth Walter Derst Dillinger (1702 – 1762)

Spouse:
Mary Derst (____ – 1777)

Children:
Abraham Darst (1745 – 1822)*
Samuel Darst (1754 – 1791)*
Jacob Durst (1754 – 1814)*
David Darst (1757 – 1826)*
Benjamin Darst (1760 – 1835)*
Paul Darst (1762 – 1826)*

*Calculated relationship

Inscription:

Buried near Rude’s Hill south of Mount Jackson.

Note: 5th GREAT GRANDFATHER

Burial:
Non-Cemetery Burial
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Robert V Darst
Record added: Jun 21, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 38573888

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=38573888

Abraham Derst pedigree and family group link:

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2031215&familyTreeID=2

***********************

Immigrant logo

10. Joseph Angi, Sr. & Edith Mae Kordos Angi were both Immigrants from Hungary:

Birth: 1888, Hungary

Death: Sep. 9, 1952

Family links:
Spouse:
Edith Mae Angi (1896 – 1980)*

Children:
Harriet E. Weaver (1915 – 1986)*

*Calculated relationship

Note: Interment 9/12/1952 Burial:
Earlham Cemetery
Richmond
Wayne County
Indiana, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: William Roha
Record added: Jul 24, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 73847161

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73847161

Joseph Angi Sr.’s Pedigree and family group:

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027890&familyTreeID=2

************************

Immigrant logo

11. Edith Mae Kordos Angi: 

Birth: 1896 Hungary
Death: Mar. 15, 1980

Family links:
Spouse:
Joseph Angi (1888 – 1952)

Children:
Harriet E. Weaver (1915 – 1986)*

*Calculated relationship

Note: Interment 3/18/1980

Burial:
Earlham Cemetery
Richmond
Wayne County
Indiana, USA
Plot: Section 33, Lot 137, Grave 1
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: William Roha
Record added: Jul 24, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 73847156

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73847156

Edith Mae Kordos Angi’s pedigree and family group: Hungary & Poland descent

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027890&familyTreeID=2

***************************

Immigrant logo

12. Henry Walbridge immigrant from England. Henry Walbridge’s great grand daughter Hannah Walbridge Converse:

Hannah Walbridge Converse

Birth: Oct. 11, 1751
Stafford
Tolland County
Connecticut, USADeath: Oct. 17, 1830
Daughter of Major Amos Walbridge and his wife, Margaret; she is first connected with the history of Connecticut through her great grandfather, Henry Walbridge, who came to Preston, Connecticut in 1688 from England and married Anna Amos on Christmas Day of that year.

Family links:
Spouse:
Israel Converse (1743 – 1806)*

Children:
Shubel Converse (1766 – 1823)*
Frederick Converse (1768 – 1828)*
Israel Converse (1772 – 1773)*
Israel Converse (1773 – 1827)*
Porter Converse (1778 – 1870)*
Sarah Lewis Converse (1780 – 1858)*
Celia Converse York (1783 – 1840)*
Eleanor Converse Scott (1787 – 1865)*
Daniel G Converse (1790 – 1858)*
John Phelps Converse (1792 – 1865)*
Josiah Converse (1797 – 1817)*

*Calculated relationship

Inscription:
79 y
Burial:
Old Cemetery – Parkman
Parkman
Geauga County
Ohio, USA
Plot: S1 L109
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: ProgBase
Record added: May 21, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 52662237

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=52662237

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2028133&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290036870437/facts

*******************

Immigrant logo

13. Edward Clap immigrated from England

GENI profile-male-generic.gif

Birth: 1609, England

Death: Jan. 8, 1664
Dorchester
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA
Born by about 1609, based on estimated date of marriage. Came from Salcombe Regis, Devonshire, to Massachusetts Bay in 1635 on the “Hopewell” & settled in Dorchester MA. Died at Dorchester 8 Jan 1664/5.
Married (1) by about 1634 Prudence Clap, daughter of Nicholas Clap. She probably died between 1640 & 1646.
(2) by 1646, Susanna Cockerill (eldest known child bp. Dorchester 10 Oct 1646, daughter of WILLIAM COCKRILL {1635, Hingham}. She died at Dorchester, 16 Jun 1688.
Edward Clap was brother of ROGER CLAP {1630, Dorchester}, of Jane (Clap) (Weeks) Humphrey Iwife 1st of GEORGE WEEKS {1639, Dorchester} & 2nd of JONAS HUMPHREY {1639, Dorchester} & of Sarah (Clap) Clap (wife of NICHOLAS CLAP {1637, Dorchester}.
A 2nd group of Clap siblings, cousins to the group just above, also came to New England: NICHOLAS CLAP {1637, Dorchester}, noted just above, whose wife was Edward Clap’s sister Sarah, THOMAS CLAP {1638, Weymouth}; John Clap, who was in New England by the 1640s; Prudence Clap, wife of our Edward; Barbara Clap, wife of JOSEPH WELD {1635, Roxbury}; & Radigon Clap, who married John Capen, son of BERNARD CAPEN. Another sister, Jane Clap, was almost certainly wife of JOHN ALDERMAN {1634, Dorchester}.

Family links:
Spouses:
Prudence Clap Clap
Susanna Cockerill Clap (____ – 1688)

Children:
Elizabeth Clap Blake (1633 – 1694)*
Ezra Clapp (1640 – 1717)*
Susannah Clapp Breck (1647 – 1711)*
Esther Clap Strong (1656 – ____)*

*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Unknown
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Linda Mac
Record added: May 25, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 37480129

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37480129

*****************

Immigrant logo

14. Casper Barger immigrated from Germany in 1738 then was killed by Indians in 1755:

casper barger 13 EarlyAmericanIndianWar

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/indians-kill-barger-ancestor-in-1755/

Casper Barger 2.jpg

Casper Barger 3.jpg

casper barger 1

Birth: 1708, Germany
Death: Jul., 1755
Augusta County
Virginia, USA

Casper Barger was born in 1708 in Germany, and died in July, 1755 in Augusta County, Virginia about the age of 47. His wife was Margaret –.Casper Berger, 30, was one of 139 males “ages from sixteen years and upwards Passengers on bd. ye Winter Gally, Edward Paynter, Commander [Qualified September 5, 1738].” Also on board were 113 women and children, for a total of 152 passengers. (German Pioneers to Pennsylvania, Passenger Ships’ Lists Includes People from the Palatine, List 52A, published at http://www.ristenbatt.com/genealogy/shplst26.htm)Alvan Lyell Barger, editor of The Barger Journal, A Publication Devoted to the Genealogy and History of the Bargers and Allied Kindred, wrote about Casper:”Casper Barger was born somewhere in the Palatinate provinces of Germany in the year 1708. He was thirty years of age when he sailed for America from Rotterdam, Holland, in the British ship Winter Galley, Captain Edward Paynter, master, and arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he took the English oath of allegiance, on September 5th, 1738. He settled in one of the eastern counties of Pennsylvania, whence he is supposed to have gone to the state of Virginia, to the Shenandoah Valley, and there acquired farm property at the Shenandoah River, near the village of McGaheysville.”His wife was Margaret —-. Indications are they were married in Germany. The next we hear of him is in the year 1755, when, with Philip Barger and Philip’s son Philip, he makes a trip to Montgomery County, southwest Virginia, where, at Tom’s Creek and New River, he had bought farm property. The purpose of the visit there was to make some improvements on the place, preparatory to moving his family there. Philip was, on the same occasion, making preparations to move his family to a farm he had purchased in the same community. The location was new and was designated by several names, as, Smithfield, Draper’s Meadows, New River, etc.”Several families had already located in the isolated spot, as the Ingles, Hermans, and others, but the population at the time, all told, was but a few dozens. This settlement was surprised and attacked by Indians on the 30th of July, 1755, and nearly wholly destroyed; and among the slain were Casper Barger and Philip Barger, Sr., the younger Philip having escaped the savages by an adroit manoeuver. . .”Of the members of Casper’s family, Chalkley’s Augusta County Records name Jacob and Casper, Jr. Were there other children?” (Edwards Brothers, Inc., Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1939, pp. 36-37)Mary B. Kegley and F. B. Kegley, authors of Early Adventurers On The Western Waters, Volume 1, The New River of Virginia in Pioneer Days 1745-1800, wrote:”Casper Barger (Barrier, Barriger, etc.) purchased 507 acres adjoining William Ingles and William Lippard in 1754 (Chalkley, Chronicles, III, 321). This tract was part of the 7,500 acres known as Draper. Barger was one of those killed by the Indians in the same raid that took the life of Colonel James Patton and others in 1755 (Chalkley, Chronicles, II, 510). His widow, Margaret, was made administrator of his estate which was recorded in 1760 (Chalkley, Chronicles, III, 59, 60). She bought lands on a branch of the Shenandoah River in 1765, and the deed was delivered to Casper Barrier, presumably her son, in 1769 (Chalkley, Chronicles, III, 426). There is no evidence that Margaret or Casper, Jr. came to New River.According to the Virginia Military Records compact disk, Indian Wars in Augusta County, Virginia, p. 29, “The following is a copy of one of the collections of the late Lyman C. Draper, which are preserved by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. As is well known, Dr. Draper was indefatigable in his researches. From 1835 to 1870, he traveled thousands of miles, visiting the residences of descendants of early settlers, and ransacking barrels, boxes, drawers and pigeonholes. He called this paper ‘The Preston Register,’ possibly because he attributed the authorship to Colonel William Preston. There are, however, some errors in the list, particularly in regard to names, which Colonel Preston would not have committed.”The Secretary of the Wisconsin Historical Society writes that the original paper has the appearance of an ancient manuscript, and as far as he knows has never been printed.”The number of people killed, wounded or captured by Indians, in Augusta County, from the beginning of the war till May, 1758, was, according to the Register, 307. Many more fell victims to Indian barbarity from May, 1758, to the fall of 1764, when the war ended. It must be remembered that Augusta county covered a much larger territory in 1754-8 than it does now. Monongalia, Holston River, New River and South Branch are remote from the present county limits. The Register fixes the dates and places of various occurrences of more or less historical interest, in regard to which tradition was silent or uncertain. July 8th, 1755, has heretofore been given as the day on which Colonel James Patton was killed and Mrs. Ingles (not English) and others captured; the Register, however, gives the date as July 30th.”According to the same source, pp. 31-32, the following is “A Register of the Persons who have been either Killed, Wounded, or taken Prisoners by the Enemy, in Augusta County, as also such as have Made their Escape. . . 1755, July 30– Col. James Patton, New River, killed. Caspa Barrier, New River, killed. Mrs. Draper & one child, New River, killed. James Cuyll, New River, wounded. Mrs. English & her two children, New River, prisoners, escaped. Mrs. Draper, jr., New River, prisoner. Henry Leonard, New River, prisoner.”Mary B. Kegley and F. B. Kegley, in their Early Adventures on the Western Waters, Volume, I, The New River of Virginia in Pioneer Days 1745-1800, state: “But Phillip (also Philip) Barger, the son of Margaret and Casper Sr. appeared to reclaim his father’s lands about 1771. . .” (Green Publishers, Inc., Orange, Virginia, p. 190)On Nov 24, 1760, the inventory of the estate of Casper Barger was filed in Augusta County Will Book 2, pages 436-437. The index for Will Book 2 lists him as Casper Berriero’s, page 436:”We the subscribers being first sworn before Tras. Tyler on of his Majesty Justices of the Pees have appraised the estate of Casper Barger decd as follows [shown in £, S, and d]To 1 Red white faced Cow 1 15 –
To 1 Red Cow 32/6 To 1 Black Spoted Cow 27/ 2 19 –
To 1 Black Cow with the £1.10 to 1 brindled Cow £1/10 3 – –
To 1 Red haffer £1.5 To 1 Red – 1 Black hiffer £1.15 3 – –
To 1 with hiffer 16/6 to two brinbled steers £1.15 2 21 6
To 1 black hiffer10/ To 1 wieth steer 25/ To 1 brindled Cool 20/ 3 3 –
To four spring calf £1.10 To 1 Wagon ghind Geers & brest chain 12 10 –
To 1 even small schenes 10/ To 1 Lock Schenes 10/ 1 – –
To two Doung fork one hook and pitchfork – 8 –
To the frissens of One Dobletree 3/ To one pair of Shllands 10/ – 13 –
To 1 Tar and two small tae 6 – 6 6
To 6 Gimlet tree file two Compreses and one lamp – 3 6
To three Mattocks 12/ to five Oggers 7/6 – 19 6
To three faling Ax 13/ – 13 –
To 1 broad ax one hand ax one froshing ax one tomhawk and one froe 15 – –
To two fraing knife one foulaz and one hovel and one – 9 –
To tree viding how one spiad and 1 shofal and 1 smal hose 10 – –
To five Gressle 1 in shase & 1 nose – 4 6
To 1 Box Iron of ledel 1 pech fork 1 Settle pan – 4 6
To 2 platters & Basan 2 pounges 2 plads and one fonel 1 7 10
To 2 probs with their Cover 8/ to 1 Drace Cattle 3/ – 11 –
To 1 smoth bore gun 15/ to 2 Bells with the Coler 7/6 1 2 6
To 1 pane 1 blacking polane Southern & 1 Cane – 9 6
To one gridel 1 hakel & 1 pair of wool Cards – 12 6
To 1 gat 1 pair of Courds & 1 waggon cloath – 12 6
To two Couting nife & 1 Coury Comma – 3 6
To 2 sets of Plow iron two Clenishes and one Sing 2 2 6
To 1 tramble 5/ to 1 Bible & 1 Sarman Book £1 1 5 –
To 1 Chisl 5 to 1 pair of Moll Rings & two Vigges – 13 –
To 1 Table 10/ To 1 Courting knife with the Heel & Boult 8/ – 10 –
To five Bridles – 5 –
To two pair of hames with Iron tresses 1 Coller & 2 bridles 1 – –
To 1 black horse banded CB £4 To 1 black Rone Maer £6 10 – –
To 1 Red Rone horse 5 10 –
To one feather Bed two palow two sheets 1 10 –
To 1 feather Bed One palow one sheet 1 – –
To 1 Crad Cot & 1 per of Briches – 19 –
To one table Cloth and two hand towel – 5 –
In Cash 5 – –
——————-
71 13 10George Trout
William Kerr
Geo PetersonAt a Court held for Augusta County November 24, 1760 This Inventory or appraisment of the Estate of Casper Barger decd being returned into Court is ordered to be Recorded. Teste –“There is additional support for the theory that Philip (below, b. 1741) was the grandson of Philip who died in 1755. The German pattern of naming the first son after the paternal grandfather would have Casper’s firstborn named Philip. The second son (Casper) was named after the maternal grandfather (Margaret’s father).Supposing the elder Philip Barger was Casper’s father, Casper Barger and Margaret — may have had the following children:*i Philip, b. Sep 1, 1741, m. 1st, Eve Clements on Feb 4, 1765; 2nd, Barbara May on Mar 2, 1792, d. Aug 3, 1803
ii Casper, Jr., b. 1743
iii Jacob O., b. Oct 26, 1745, m. Elizabeth Hedrick, d. Aug 24, 1794
iv John B., b. Nov 11, 1746, m. Mary (Molly) — in 1776, d. 1831Family links:
Children:
Philip Barger (1741 – 1803)*
Jacob Berrier Barger (1745 – 1794)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Unknown
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Larry Cornwell
Record added: Jan 27, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 33300030

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=33300030

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027908&familyTreeID=2

*********************

Immigrant logo

15. Michael Wine – German Immigrant:

Michael Wine.jpg

Birth: May 27, 1747, Germany

Death: 1822
Mineral County
West Virginia, USA


Son of Johan George Wine 

Family links:
Spouse:
Susannah Miller Wine (1754 – 1848)

Children:
John W Wine (1776 – 1844)*
Barbara Wine Myers (1783 – 1871)*

*Calculated relationship
Burial:
Beaver Run Cemetery
Burlington
Mineral County
West Virginia, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Gathering Roots
Record added: Jan 06, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 63814023

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=63814023

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027935&familyTreeID=2

**********************

 

Immigrant logo

16. Rudolph Kagey immigrated from Germany:

Rudolph Kagey immigrated from Germany to America in 1764, remained in Southeast Pennsylvania until after the Revolutionary War, then moved to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He lived along Holman’s Creek above New Market in Shenandoah County..

His wife was Frances Barglebaugh.  They were both Mennonites.

One of their children was an Elizabeth who married a David (Daniel) Wine.

Franklin Keagy,  “A History of the Kagy Relationship in America, 1715 – 1900” (Harrisburg, PA: Harrisburg Publishing Company, 1899 ) pp. 460 – 612.

https://archive.org/stream/historyofkgyre00keag#page/460/mode/2up

Rudolph Kagey’s pedigree:

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/family?cfpid=290024880584

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2029447&familyTreeID=2

***********************

Immigrant logo

17. Johannes Heizer immigrated from Germany with his son Valentine Heizer & Valentine’s wife Anna Howe Heizer.

Johannes born 1664 in Germany and died 16 Feb 1749

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027968&familyTreeID=2

***********************

Immigrant logo

18. Valentine Heizer immigrated from Germany:

Valentine HEIZER was born in 1690 in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, the child of Johannes and Dorothea. He married Anna HOWE on May 26, 1747. They had one child during their marriage. He died on August 7, 1753, at the age of 63.

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027966&familyTreeID=2

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/family?cfpid=290024880616

***************

Immigrant logo

19. Anna How Heizer immigrated from Germany with her husband Valentine Heizer and father-in-law Johannes Heizer. 

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2027968&familyTreeID=2

*******************

Immigrant logo

20. Captain William Trask immigrated from England & was Militia Captain of the Pequod War.

Captain William Trask.jpg

Birth: 1585
East Coker
South Somerset District
Somerset, England
Death: May 16, 1666
Salem
Essex County
Massachusetts, USA

He was a fisherman who came with the Dorchester Company to Cape Ann in 1624. He came on the Zouch Phenix from Weymouth, England. When the Dorchester Company folded they offered the fisherman the opportunity to return to England. He, along with others moved down the Massachusetts coastline to a place the Indians called “Maumkeg.” It later became a charter for the settlement. It became known as “The Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England.” In 1629, he was a member of the First Church in Salem. On October 19, 1630, he petitioned the court to be a freeman. On November 7, 1632, he appointed, along with seven others, to set boundaries between Roxbury and Dorchester. In 1634 he was made a Captain in the Militia.Family links:
Children:
Henry Trask (1630 – 1683)**Calculated relationship
Burial:
Burying Point Cemetery
Salem
Essex County
Massachusetts, USA
GPS (lat/lon): 42.52049, -70.89235
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: Find A Grave
Originally Created by: Anonymous
Record added: Jul 08, 2016
Find A Grave Memorial# 166645167

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=166645167

128.William Trask427,428,429,430, born 1589 in East Coker, Somerset, England431,432; died May 16, 1666 in Salem, Massachusetts433.He was the son of 256. Nicholas Traske.He married 129. Sarah ? 1636 in Salem, Massachusetts434.
129.Sarah ?434,435, born Abt. 1608436; died Abt. 1667 in Salem, MA436.

Notes for William Trask:
The descendants of Captain William Trask, of Salem, Mass. form another branch of the Harris Family Tree.Bessie Trask (1844-1919), who married Arthur Welsford Harris (1871-1941), is a direct descendant of Capt. Trask.
Captain William Trask came to North America in 1624 as a passenger on the Zouch Phenix out of Weymouth, England.This ship was commissioned by the Dorchester Company to establish a community at Cape Ann, Mass.A group of fourteen had remained one year earlier, and the Zouch Phenix left another thirty-two, including William Trask.Cape Ann was not a good site, and the following year a new settlement was established down the coast at Salem.William Trask was one of the founders of Salem, and closely identified with the growth and development of its early settlement.He was active in the civil, military and church life of his community.
Apparently, his wife Sarah was living at the time of his death in 1666, although this doesn’t seen to be consistent with reference to a second wife.
They had six children, and it is through their fourth, William Trask, that we trace our family.He seems to have married a second time, and had two other children.
The Historical Context
In the early years of the seventeenth century England was state of turmoil.Circumstances in the reign of James I (1603-1625) were such that the King and the people were in constant opposition.This antagonism rose from religious, financial and military friction.Parliament no sooner convened than it was dissolved by the King when he didn’t get his own way.Men chafed under such rule and this in part resulted in the emigration of thousands of Puritans and the eventual flight of the Pilgrim Fathers to Holland and America.Despite high hopes when Charles I (1625-1639) succeeded his father, and the prevailing optimistic view that things would improve, Charles proved to be devious indeed and things went from bad to worse for the merchants, the military and the professional men of the towns.
There were problems in New England as well.The trek of English fishermen all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and back every season became more unsatisfactory as their facilities on the New England coast became more sophisticated.It was proving to be expensive to abandon small boats, drying flakes, salting and smoking apparatus, not to mention the enormous amount of time spent on the Atlantic coming and going.Therefore a permanent year-round colony with a settled population, which in addition would give proper attention to religious and civil matters, was regarded as a desirable solution by both businessmen and the liberal element of the Puritan Party in England.
The Dorchester Company
Great emphasis was placed on religion and this was really the incentive which compelled the energetic and far-sighted Rev. John White of Dorchester, England to devote his efforts to the organizing of this new colony.His concept differed from that of the Plymouth Colony as he considered separation from the Church of England to be evil and his colony was to be a place of refuge for men of moderate views.The Dorchester Company was the result of his successful promotion of this idea among the clergy and merchants.It was founded under a grant (or patent) from the Council for New England.Cape Ann was selected for the location of the new settlement.
The Dorchester Company was a joint stock company with a capital of some three thousand pounds.It had 121 members: 50 gentry from Dorset, 6 from Devon, 30 merchants mostly from Dorchester, 20 clergy, several widows and small businessmen, all with Puritan tendencies.It was responsible for sending out the people who would grow corn, hunt for venison, fish and foul and provide a settlement for the fishing industry.Roger Conant was the first governor.No doubt the company was the talk of the whole west country due the publicity circulated on the subject by its booster John White.
Since William Trask’s home was in Somerset near the border of Dorset, he would have heard of the Dorchester Company very easily.He was in his early thirties and no doubt already established by the time he heard of the Company’s plan to take Englishmen to Massachusetts.Evidence exists that he that he may have gone to Delft in Holland in 1623, perhaps to size up the Pilgrims.He made sure that he became part of that early phase of the Dorchester Company.Had he remained in England he would have had a rough time of it in view of what we know of his subsequent activities in Salem.He emerges as an outspoken citizen, soldier, politician and petitioner for all sorts of things.Today he would probably be writing letters to the editor.
Although the fishing connection was not very successful, the nucleus of a colony was nevertheless planted in New England.Ships had left 14 men at Cape Ann in 1623, 32 men in 1624, including William Trask.He came in the spring along with 14 others on the Zouch Phenix from Weymouth, England.
After a year, however, the original company back in England (often called the Adventurers) became discouraged to the point of dissolving the Dorchester Company, thus ending their connection to the Cape Ann Colony.All wages were to be paid and anyone who desired would be brought home to England.At this point Roger Conant and several others including William Trask moved to a more congenial site located slightly down the Massachusetts coast.Fortunately this proved to more suitable for farming and for a permanent settlement.It was called Maumkeg by the Indians.We know it as Salem.
Back in England John White was determined to continue his support and wrote promising a new patent to the group if they would stay on. For awhile the new name was the Joint Adventurers for Settling of Plantation in New England. Those who remained in Massachusetts were henceforth designated ‘the Old Planters’ and eventually were granted choice farm lands.
By the summer of 1627 the new community was thriving but the promised patent had not arrived.So John Woodberry (or Woodbury) and William Trask returned to England to obtain it.This explains why William travelled to New England twice.John Woodberry brought his family on his return, but there is no evidence as to when Sarah Trask, William’s wife, came to Salem.
John Endicott was chosen as the new agent to succeed Conant who nevertheless remained in Salem.The Company’s new name evolved into “New England Company for a Plantation in Massachusetts Bay” but this did not seem to catch on so they tried “The Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England”.This list of titles may thus be recognized as really the same company in different guises and need not cause confusion.
The writings of Gwen Trask provide a chronology of events of William Trask, which are incorporated into the above notes, or as follows.
In 1629 William was member of the First Church of Salem, and on 19 October 1630 petitioned the General Court of Massachusetts to be made a freeman.He took the oath the following May.That he was literate becomes apparent as many papers written and signed by him are accessible.He seems to have been a responsible citizen and as early as 7 November 1632 he was appointed (with several others) by the general court to set boundaries between Dorchester and Roxbury.1634 found William Trask on the committee to superintend the construction of fortifications and he was made captain of the Militia this year, in charge of the military defence of Salem.He was always regarded as a military man and was called Captain.
In 1635 Roger Conant, William Trask and three others were appointed overseers of land to set the boundaries of Newbury.This was also the year, the first of four, that he was elected Deputy from Salem to the General Court of Massachusetts.Also in 1635, five farms of 200 acres each at Bass River were granted to the ‘old planters’, one of whom was William Trask.He was sent to ‘apprehend rogues’ and overtook them at Piscataqua.He figured conspicuously in the Piquod War and served in the then wilds of Connecticut with the Eastern Regiment under the command of John Endicott, Col. andJohn Winthrop, Lieut. Col.; asWilliam Trask, Muster Master.
In 1637 William Trask laid out a farm for Mr. Humphrey, Deputy Governor.
He held the position of Captain of Militia in charge of the defence of Salem for ten years when the following directive was set down: “The chief military officer of the band should inhabit in or near the harbour and considering Captain Trask who hath been many years their chief officer dwells so remote from that part of the town as he cannot be helpful upon any such suden occasion, doth hereby discharge him of that office with due acknowledgement of his faithfil and former good service to the country.”This ties in with information regarding his homestead being being in what is now Danvers and a good way inland from the harbour side of Salem.
Captain Trask had several grants of land from the town in addition to the one of 200 acres.In 1636 he erected a mill for grinding corn on the North River at a place later called Frye’s Mills.In 1640 he had permission from the town to set up a tide mill and a fulling mill near his grist mill.On 6 June 1639 William Trask was specially mentioned and received 200 acres “in regard of much service”.Then in 1658 he was granted 400 acres in Pequod County (Pequot or Pequod is now New London, Connecticut).
On 8 June 1657 seats in the Meeting House were assigned to prominent persons for the first time : “Sergeant Porter should sit in the same seat with Captain Trask.”On 22 March 1658: “The foreseat in the gallery apart for William Trask (among several others).”
In 1661 in his 74th year he sent a petition on behalf of his associates in the Pequod War for recompense.This and many other legal papers related to William’s extremely full life are preserved in the Massachusetts Archives in the State House, Boston.His handwriting and style of expression could easily defeat even his most eager descendant at first reading but once one gets the key, the archaic spelling and structure become relatively readable.
At age 77, William died on 16 May 1666 and was buried with military honours.The Trask Burying Grounds was so called because it was next to the Trask Homestead and Captain Trask was probably buried in it (attempts to locate it in recent years have been unsuccessful).
He was survived by his wife, Sarah, whether the first Sarah, mother of the first five or six children or a second Sarah who may have been the mother of the last two or three is not certain.It is sure, however, that the first Sarah was the mother of William, thus the ancestor of the Nova Scotia Trasks.
More About William Trask:
Baptised: Dec 14, 1585, East Coker, Somerset, England436
Burial: The Trask Burying Grounds
More About William Trask and Sarah ?:
Marriage: 1636, Salem, Massachusetts437

Children of William Trask and Sarah ? are:

i. Sarah Trask438, born Jan 01, 1634/35 in Salem, MA438; died Dec 26, 1696 in Boston, MA.438; married Elias Parkman Oct 13, 1656 in Salem, Mass.438; born Nov 05, 1635 in Dorchester, England; died Aug 18, 1691 in Wapping, London, England439.
More About Elias Parkman and Sarah Trask:
Marriage: Oct 13, 1656, Salem, Mass.440
ii. Mary Trask440,441, born Nov 01, 1636 in Salem, MA; married (1) John Loomis Oct 13, 1656 in Salem, Mass.441; died Abt. 1685 in Salem, MA441; married (2) Daniel Batter Bef. 1685.
More About Mary Trask:
Baptised: Jan 01, 1636/37

 

More About Daniel Batter and Mary Trask:
Marriage: Bef. 1685
iii. Susanna Trask442, born Jun 10, 1638 in Salem, MA; married Samuel Aborne Feb 19, 1663/64.
More About Susanna Trask:
Baptised: Oct 1638

 

More About Samuel Aborne and Susanna Trask:
Marriage: Feb 19, 1663/64
64 iv. William Trask, born Jul 19, 1640 in Salem, Essex, Mass.; died Jun 30, 1691 in Salem, Essex, Mass; married (1) Ann Lynn Putnam Jan 18, 1666/67 in Salem, Massachusetts; married (2) Anna ? Aft. Nov 1676.
v. John Trask442,443, born Jul 13, 1642 in Salem, MA; died Nov 29, 1729 in Salem, MA443; married Abigail Parkman Feb 19, 1661/62 in Salem, Mass.443; born Abt. 1646 in Windsor, CT; died Abt. Aug 08, 1677 in Salem, MA.
More About John Trask:
Baptised: Sep 18, 1642, Salem, Mass.

 

More About John Trask and Abigail Parkman:
Marriage: Feb 19, 1661/62, Salem, Mass.443
vi. Elizabeth Trask444, born Jul 21, 1645.
More About Elizabeth Trask:
Baptised: Sep 24, 1645

 

 

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/h/a/r/Andrew-G-Harris/BOOK-0001/0008-0013.html

 

trask family desk sothebys auction N08710-225-lr-1.jpg

This one-drawer chest descended in the Trask family of Salem and was probably originally commissioned by John Trask (1678-1737) around the time of his marriage to Hannah Osborne (1679-1721). It descended through three generations of their family to William Blake Trask (1812-1906), who donated the piece to the New England Historical and Genealogical Society in 1902. An article by William published a year earlier shows the chest in the Boston Street house in Salem of his great-great-great grandfather, William (1640-1691), one of the founders of Salem. Another one-drawer chest attributed to the Symonds shop may have originally been owned by Hannah Osborne Trask or her brother John Osborne (1671-1744) (see Willoughby, fig. 9, p. 177). A genealogical chart showing possible lines of descent for these two chests is illustrated in Willoughby, fig. 6, p. 175.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2011/important-americana-including-american-stoneware-assembled-by-mr-and-mrs-edwin-hochberg-n08710/lot.225.html

A Flag, a Cross and a Sword

by Robert F. Huber

The Shallop Elizabeth Tilley flying the flag of St. George

The Shallop Elizabeth Tilley flying the flag of St. George

When the Howland Society’s shallop sailed from Plymouth to Maine in August 2003 the tiny ship was flying the flag of St. George — the flag created a furor in the early days of New England.

It wasn’t a pretty flag — a red cross emblazoned on a field of white — but it did belong to the king of England and was used by the Royal Navy. The trouble was that it had been given to the king by the Pope as a talisman of victory.

The trouble erupted on a cold October day in 1634. Captain William Trask was drilling his train-band in the fundamentals of military operations. Onlookers in Salem saw the men carrying the flag proudly.

John Endecott who had been the first governor of the settlement at Salem saw it and was horrified.

He believed that the red cross… “was a superstitious thing and a relic of antichrist.”

Roger Williams, the outspoken Plymouth preacher, supported Endecott’s contention that the flag “savored of popery” and was “a badge of superstition.”

John Winthrop, governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, agreed that the cross in the banner “was the image of an idol, and the greatest idol in the church of Rome.”

Many others in Salem, Plymouth, Boston and other colonies echoed these sentiments, but it took bold action by a bold man to face the issue squarely.

John Endecott cut the offending cross from the flag with his sword.

The emperor Constantine started using the flag with the cross as a military emblem and was intended to ward off hostile forces. Church leaders felt the “superstitious belief” that the emblem had power to protect troops made its use “unacceptable.”

Some more moderate leaders such as Thomas Dudley and Thomas Hooker expressed the belief that the reformation “had succeeded in weaning people from the idolatrous use of such symbols and that the cross on the flag could be accepted as a national emblem.”

The men in power were worried, fearing the London authorities would consider Endecott’s action a slap in the king’s face. An investigation was begun and the results were turned over to the General Court. Endecott was “admonished” and banned from holding public office for a year. He was then jailed. But Endecott was no dumb bunny. He was released the same day after admitting his errors.

As for Roger Williams, the General Court ordered him to “depart out” of our jurisdiction with in six weeks.

This little tempest in a teapot had a happy ending.

Endecott was elected governor of Massachusetts Bay several times and died in office. And Roger Williams fled to Rhode Island and founded Providence. He too became a governor.

And more than 400 years afterward, when the Elizabeth Tilley sailed with her crew of Howland descendants the flag of St. George was flying proudly.

http://www.pilgrimjohnhowlandsociety.org/john-howland/articles/45-a-flag-a-cross-and-a-sword

Essex

The Essex colony started at Cape Ann in 1623 with a party led by Thomas Gardner and John Tylly. For this party, there were two ships with 32 people who were to settle the area commercially. About a year later, this party was joined by a group from Plymouth led by Roger Conant. These efforts, funded by the Dorchester Company, which withdrew its funding after 1625. In 1626, some of the original party, as many left to return to England or to go south, moved the settlement, in hopes of finding more success, to Naumkeag. This settlement worked out and became Salem.[3]

According to the Essex Institute, the list of old planters, in 1626, who were in Cape Ann before the move were as follows:

Roger Conant – Governor, John Lyford – Minister (went to Virginia, instead of Naumkeag), John Woodbury, Humphrey Woodbury, John Balch, Peter Palfray, Walter Knight, William Allen,[4] Thomas Gray, John Tylly, Thomas Gardner, Richard Norman (and his son), William Jeffrey, and Capt. William Trask.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Planters_(Massachusetts)

William W. Trask, Sr.

Also Known As: “William Traske”
Birthdate: December 14, 1585
Birthplace: East Coker, , Somerset, , ENGLAND,
Death: Died May 16, 1666 in Salem, , Essex, Massachusetts, USA,
Place of Burial: Peabody, Trask Burial Ground, Massachusetts, United States
Immediate Family: Son of Nicholas Trask, Sr. and Christyan Nicholas Trask
Husband of Sarah Traske
Father of Henry Trask; Sarah Parkman; John William Trask;William Trask, Jr.; Susannah Trask; Mary Trask; Ann Trask; Eliza Traske; Elizabeth Trask and Eliza Trask « less
Brother of Agnes Traske; Johanne Traske and Joan Traske
Occupation: Soldier, miller/soldier/ capt. ma bay coloney

https://www.geni.com/people/Captain-William-Trask/6000000007329877061

 

The Alliance Between Pilgrim and Puritan in Massachusetts: An Address…

https://books.google.com/books?id=H53sGNJH94YC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=william+trask+a+pilgrim&source=bl&ots=31fi8JFTlY&sig=x7vSsYqJ9_wAZFoChBxzfvv7LHg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX_M6mq93OAhVL5WMKHeHECmkQ6AEIJzAC#v=onepage&q=william%20trask%20a%20pilgrim&f=false

The Pilgrims of Boston and Their Descendants: With an Introduction by Hon…

https://books.google.com/books?id=RwspAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=william+trask+a+pilgrim&source=bl&ots=Nyy0SxMzMK&sig=o_k6lNVAld9IVCTdJadqc03NkdY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX_M6mq93OAhVL5WMKHeHECmkQ6AEIKjAD#v=onepage&q=william%20trask%20a%20pilgrim&f=false

The Pilgrim Republic: An Historical Review of the Colony of New Plymouth

https://books.google.com/books?id=EYMTyhSXv7YC&pg=PA274&lpg=PA274&dq=william+trask+a+pilgrim&source=bl&ots=Ue_XBk29od&sig=UWk-htZ-XWERExnlxBFJNKKAIBw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX_M6mq93OAhVL5WMKHeHECmkQ6AEINTAG#v=onepage&q=william%20trask%20a%20pilgrim&f=false
https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2028047&familyTreeID=2

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/family?cfpid=290024880697

*************************

Immigrant logo

21. Reverend Joseph Hull – England

Birth: 1595
Somerset, England
Death: Nov. 19, 1665
Maine, USA

The Reverend Joseph Hull (1595-1665) was born in England, the son of Thomas Hull and his wife Joanna (Peson) Hull, who were married in Crewkerne Parish on 11 January 1572/3. There, circa 1618, he married his unknown first wife. After her death, he married secondly Agnes Hunt, 1633 St. Cuthbert’s, Wells, Somerset.
He gathered together the “Hull” party to leave England, seeking religious freedom. The Reverend Hull led a group of 106 people to Massachusetts. This group consisted of about 20 families, their servants, he and his second wife Agnes, his seven children, and their three servants. They first went to Weymouth, but were granted the right to settle at Wessaguscus, which name they changed to Weymouth. Reverend Hull lived in several areas of Massachusetts: Hingham, Barnstable, and Yarmouth. He was then accepted as the minister of York, Maine. Reverend Hull returned to England in 1645, leaving his oldest children behind, but in May of 1662 he was once again removed from his English parish and returned to New England. In 1662, he became minister at Durham, New Hanpshire. Eventually, he moved to what is now called “Appledore Island” (name changed from Hog Island, name changed from Farm Island), the primary island in the Isles of Shoals that is now part of York County, Maine. Reverend Hull lived there until his death. Ancestry.com records show that {The Reverend} Joseph Hull died in Agamenticus,York County, Maine in 1665, which is the nearest mainland point to Appledore Island. It appears most likely that Reverend Hull died on Appledore Island, in York County, Maine.Family links:
Parents:
Thomas Hull (1547 – 1636)
Joan Pysing Hull (1551 – 1629)Spouses:
1st wife Hull*
Joanna Coffin Hull (1602 – 1632)*
Agnes Hunt Hull (1610 – ____)*Children:
Joanna Hull Bursley Davis (1620 – 1683)*
Elizabeth Hull Heard (1628 – 1706)*
Benjamin Hull (1639 – 1713)*Siblings:
Robert Hull (1584 – 1654)**
George Hull (1590 – ____)*
Joseph Hull (1595 – 1665)*Calculated relationship
**Half-sibling
Burial:
Unknown
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: SRK
Originally Created by: Tennise Broeck Morse
Record added: Jul 09, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 73100242

 

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2029906&familyTreeID=2

 

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024882556/facts?_phtarg=xIj17

***********************

Immigrant logo

22. George Hull – immigrated from England, co-founder of Windsor, CT.

parkman elias windsor ct cofounder

elias-parkman-co-founderwindsor-ct_3

Birth: Aug. 27, 1590
Keynsham
Bath and North East Somerset Unitary Authority
Somerset, EnglandDeath: unknown
Fairfield
Fairfield County
Connecticut, USA
Born by about 1589 (based on date of first marriage), son of Thomas and Joan (Pyssing) Hull. Came from Crewkerne, Somersetshire to Massachusetts Bay in 1632. First settled in Dorchester; moved to Windsor CT in 1636, & Fairfield CT in 1647. Died in Fairfield CT after 26 May 1658 & before 25 August 1659 (date of inventory).
Married: (1) Crewkerne, Somerset, 27 August 1614 Thomasine Mitchell; she died before 1654.
(2) After 11 July 1654 Sarah (_____) Phippen, widow of David Phippen of Boston; she died at Fairfield shortly before 25 August 1659.
George Hull was elder brother of Reverend Joseph Hull who arrived in New England in 1635. In his will George Hull mentioned cousin Jane Pinkney, and his second wife named cousins Jane and Philip Pinkney in her will. In his account of Philip Pinkney, Jacobus supposes that “[h]e and his wife were perhaps drawn to Fairfield by the marriage of their aunt, Mrs. Sarah Phippen, to George Hull,” but the exact nature of the relationship is not known.

Family links:
Parents:
Thomas Hull (1547 – 1636)
Joan Pysing Hull (1551 – 1629)

Spouses:
Thomasine Mitchell Hull (1592 – 1655)
Sarah Hull (1596 – 1659)
Thamzen Mitchell Hull (1592 – 1655)*

Children:
Josiah Hull (1616 – 1675)*
Mary Hull Pinney (1618 – 1684)*
Martha Hull (1620 – ____)*
Elizabeth Hull Gaylord (1625 – 1680)*
Cornelius Hull (1628 – 1695)*
Joshua Hull (1630 – ____)*
Naomi Hull (1632 – ____)*

Siblings:
Robert Hull (1584 – 1654)**
George Hull (1590 – ____)
Joseph Hull (1595 – 1665)*

*Calculated relationship
**Half-sibling
Burial:
Palisado Cemetery
Windsor
Hartford County
Connecticut, USA
Plot: Founders Monument
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Linda Mac
Record added: Feb 23, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 34126177

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34126177

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2030112&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024882762/facts

*********************

Immigrant logo

23. Mary Hull – England

Emigration

U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s Immigration & Emigration Name Mary Hull Arrival 1630 – Nantasket, Massachusetts REVIEW

Map

When Mary HULL was born on October 12, 1577, in Crewkerne, Somerset, her father, Thomas, was 30 and her mother, Joan, was 26.  She had 11 brothers and one sister.

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2030105&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024882755/facts?_phtarg=xIj45

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=110322893

********************

Immigrant logo

24. Matthew Grant immigrated from England and co-founded Windsor, CT. Progenitor of USA’s 18th President and General of the Union Army in the Civil War Ulysses S Grant.

parkman elias windsor ct cofounder

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2030105&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024895222/facts

https://parkmangenealogy.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/elias-parkman-co-founder-of-windsor-ct/

**************************

Immigrant logo

25. Priscilla Grey – immigrated from England and married Matthew Grant co-Founder of Windsor, CT.

Birth: Feb., 1602, England
Death: Apr. 27, 1644
Windsor
Hartford County
Connecticut, USA

Priscilla, the first wife of Matthew Grant, b. in England and d. at Windsor, Conn. Apr. 27, 1644, “aged” 43 years and 2 months.[*1] The word “aged,” one of the variant forms, in English, for the Latin phrase Ætatis suæ, indicates she was 42 years and 2 months old at her death, b. in or about Feb. 1601/2. The place of her birth and identity of her parents remains unknown.Claims that Priscilla’s parents were Anthony Grey and Magdalen Purifoy have been thoroughly disproved and worth explanatory space in this memorial [see NEHGR 102 (1948):153.] But, contrary to the latter article’s claim that Matthew, in his Notebook, stated that Priscilla was born on Feb. 27, 1601, no such date exists in his Notebook. The only approximate date of her birth is from Matthew’s statement of how old she was when she died – “aged 43 years and 2 months.”

Per the parish records of the Church at Burbeck, Leicestershire, England, including a known gravestone monument at the church graveyard:

• Monument and Arms of Anthony Grey, who died Nov. 9, 1643 and of his Wife Magdaleine (Purefoy) who died April 16, 1653, Æ 81.

Anthony and Magdalen had two daughters named Priscilla, the first born [sic, bapt.?] March 14, 1609 [sic 1609/10?] and died young. The second Priscilla was born [sic, bapt.?] May 7, 1615 and married John St. Nicholas. Their own monument reads:

• The noble and virtuous Priscilla Grey, youngest daughter of Rt. Hon. Anthony Grey, Earl of Kent; a singular pattern of purity and virtue in her single and married state; deceased September 16, 1665, in the 51st year of her age, and lyeth here interred, resting in hope.” Buried Sept. 20, 1665. “Here lyeth the body of John St. Nicholas, husband of Lady Priscilla, died May 21, 1698.”

As inferred earlier, confirmation of the early structure of the Matthew Grant family is contained in Matthew’s personal Notebook, and as Windsor town recorder (town clerk) coupled with his separate records of the “Old Church Records” of the early Windsor Congregational Church.[*2] These two records are the early basis of the Barbour published vital records of the Town of Windsor coded from “MG.” In Matthew’s “Old Church Records,” and included in the Barbour published vital records, is:

• “May 29, 164[0 the] Mother Matthew Grant dyed,” further transcribed with [of] inserted between Mother and Matthew.

In that era, the term Mother could have referred to the biological mother or stepmother of either Matthew or wife Priscilla. The common assertion has been the entry refers to Matthew’s mother, but could have referred to Priscilla’s unknown mother or stepmother. If the latter was the actual case, it would further confirm Priscilla was not the daughter of Rev. Anthony Grey and Magdalen Purefoy.

Matthew Grant and 1st wife Priscilla had six known children, but two died in infancy. The four surviving children are outlined in their father’s memorial.

[*1] Matthew Grant’s Notebook, digitally transcribed as the “Matthew Grant Diary” by the Connecticut State Library, Hartford. Priscilla’s death does not otherwise appear in the Barbour published town records.
[*2] Published in 1930 by the Connecticut Historical Society in “Some Early Records and Documents of and Relating to the Town of Windsor, Connecticut, 1639-1703.”

Revised 1/13/2016

Family links:
Spouse:
Matthew Grant (1601 – 1681)

Children:
Mathew Grant (____ – 1639)*
Precilla Grant Humphrey (1601 – 1644)*
Priscilla Grant Humphrey (1626 – ____)*
Samuel Grant (1631 – 1718)*
Tahan Grant (1634 – 1693)*
John Grant (1642 – 1684)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Palisado Cemetery
Windsor
Hartford County
Connecticut, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Mar 21, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 50022962

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50022962

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-370411831/parkman-genealogy?rootIndivudalID=2042573&familyTreeID=2

http://person.ancestry.com/tree/103040045/person/290024895223/facts

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: