Francis Parkman House – Jamaica Plain, MA

francis parkman house jamaica pond 1894.jpg

Francis Parkman House, Jamaica Pond, Mass 1894

francis parkman house jamaica pond 1894 view from house of pond

view of Jamaica Pond from Francis Parkman house 1894

francis parkman house jamaica pond 1894 2

Francis Parkman house 1894

francis parkman house jamaica pond 1894 3

Francis Parkman house 1894

francis parkman house jamaica pond 1894 from pond st olmstead park.jpg

Jamaica Pond & Olmstead Park  from Pond St. 1894

received_10210536618431419

Parkman boat landing on Jamaica Pond

francis parkman house jamaica pond post card

Francis Parkman house Jamaica Plain, MA post card

 

francis parkman.jpg

Francis Parkman’s signature

received_10210533525474097

francis parkman memorial jamaica plain parkman_memorial

This Francis Parkman Memorial now stands where his house foundation once was – Jamaica Plain, MA 

 

Francis Parkman Memorial, Francis Parkman Drive at Jamaica Pond, Jamaica Plain, MA:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Parkman+Memorial+Park,+Boston,+MA+02130/@42.3162151,-71.1261518,814m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e3790d7f6acb55:0x7897856ace0d84c5!8m2!3d42.3181537!4d-71.1244273

*******************************

Parkman Memorial

By Richard Heath

In the great council house stood the wisdom and valor of the confederacy, sachems; tall and stalwart figures limbed like Grecian statues.
Francis Parkman, The Old Regime of Canada

The first design of the Parkman Memorial was an Indian woman and an Indian man carved in deep relief on separate shafts connected by a lintel. This is a full size plaster model of the Indian maiden on display at Chesterwood. the summer home and studio of DC French at Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Photograph by Richard Heath.A majestic Iroquois stands witness on the shores of Jamaica Pond. He emerges from a single shaft of granite twenty feet high. The head and torso are cut deep into the stone while the legs, wrapped in a robe, appear to be the stone itself because of the low-cut relief. His thick left hand holds his robe and the pipe of peace. The stern face is often in shadow; the head is thrown back and his hooded eyes stare into time.

This is the memorial to Francis Parkman, American historian and summertime Jamaica Plain resident. It was designed by Daniel Chester French and carved partly on site in 1906.

Francis Parkman was born on September 16, 1893 on Beacon Hill; he spent his early years at number five Bowdoin Square. Together with the historian William H. Prescott (1796-1859), Parkman introduced American letters to the field of history written in Romantic prose, based on careful research from original manuscripts and documents.

It was as a student at Harvard that Francis Parkman determined to write about the American wilderness – the struggle for power in North America between the empires of Britain and France. “Here it seemed to me,” Parkman wrote in 1886, “the forest drama was more stirring and the forest stage more thronged … the course of the American conflict between France and England [was] the history of the American forest.”

Parkman’s fascination with the American forest was also with its people, the Eastern Woodlands Indian. This led him to read James Fenimore Cooper, the earliest American writer who, in the words of Parkman biographer Mason Wade, “recognized the importance of the Indian and the forest in the development of the nation.” Parkman’s histories took the romanticism of Cooper much further: for the historian, the Indian was a political and military power that had to be understood if the conquest of North America was to be accurately written. In that titanic struggle for continental hegemony – which was a dress rehearsal for the Revolutionary War a decade later – there were three centers of power: the French, the British, and the American Indian, principally the Iroquois Confederacy.

Parkman’s first book in the seven-volume history, Pioneers of France in the New World, was published in 1865, followed two years later by The Jesuits in North America. Jesuits opens with a chapter on the first continental power, titled “Native Tribes.” It is a 47-page study of all facets of American Indian life: tribal divisions, arts, festivals, medicines, women and families, religion, government, and most importantly to Parkman, an examination of the mighty Iroquois. In its struggle with Britain, France enlisted as allies the most significant tribe in the Northeast, the Iroquois. Of all the eastern tribes, the Iroquois were the most politically and militarily organized, and therefore to Parkman, they came closest to resembling the Europeans. This introduction, opening as it does the history of the beginning of New France, recognized that the Indian was the first of the three powers for mastery of North America. The concluding volume, A Half Century of Conflict, was published in 1892, a year before Francis Parkman’s death.

Parkman spent his life on Beacon Hill; in 1865 he moved to 50 Chestnut Street, where he kept a Sioux war bonnet, war clubs, and other Indian relics from his 1848 trip to the great West. In 1852 he bought three acres on Prince Street overlooking Jamaica Pond, and on the crest of the slope he built a summer cottage nestled among trees. In 1874 he rebuilt this house in bracket farmhouse style with truncated gable, bay windows and a veranda. The entrance drive came off Prince Street, and the grounds swept down to the pond where he had a boat dock. Flanking the pathway to the pond were lush flower beds of roses and lilies that he was famous for propagating. Francis Parkman celebrated his 70th birthday at the Jamaica Pond house on September 15, 1893, but less than two months later he died there on November 8, 1893. He was buried on Indian Ridge at Mt. Auburn Cemetery.

In 1875 the Boston Park Commissioners, with the advice of Frederick Law Olmsted, began to plan for a great system of parks for Boston. There was no doubt that Jamaica Pond had to be preserved as a public park because of its unique natural beauty, quickly being lost to icehouses and private estates. By January 1893, 65 acres had been purchased surrounding the pond for a park. Parkman’s estate was included in the acreage, but the city would not take his house and grounds while he was still alive (Parkman was offered $24,300 for his property).

In 1894 a few months after Parkman’s death, his cottage, carriage house and greenhouse were razed and the grading begun for Parkman Drive. The shoreline below the cottage was not changed, but the boat dock was removed. The 555-foot long supporting wall for Parkman Drive was built, and by the end of 1898 the Drive itself and the footpath through the old estate grounds were complete and opened to the public.

In 1895 a committee including Charles Sprague Sargent, founder and first director of the Arnold Arboretum, and Parkman’s eldest daughter Grace Parkman Coolidge, was formed and proposed a memorial to Francis Parkman on the site of his cherished summer home. The American Architect and Building News reported in its April 13, 1896 issue that “friends of the late Mr. Parkman are raising money for a monument … nothing would be more appropriate than such a memorial erected on the very scene of his labors.” It noted that $15,000 had been raised. The committee consulted with Frederick Law Olmsted, then at the end of his great career, for advice on the site. (Olmsted preferred that public art in his parks harmonize with the landscape). The committee turned to the architect Charles McKim (who had just completed the Boston Public Library) to design the memorial, but Mc Kim thought that it was one of sculpture not architecture, and he turned to his friend and library collaborator Daniel Chester French (who had designed the bronze entrance doors to the Library). McKim and French collaborated through several false starts until 1902, when McKim withdrew from the project and French proceeded alone to design the memorial.

Born in 1850 in Exeter, New Hampshire, Daniel Chester French in 1895 was in the forefront of American sculpture, largely for the acclaim he received for the Milmore Memorial of 1893 at Forest Hills Cemetery, and for The Republic, the 65-foot statue at the Court of Honor, which he designed for the 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition in Chicago. (This is where he first met Charles McKim. French also collaborated with architects on six statuary groups for the Exposition). His first major public sculpture was the iconographic Citizen Soldier – the “Minuteman Statue” – at Concord, Mass. (1875). In 1884 his seated bronze statue of John Harvard was unveiled at Harvard Yard. When he accepted the commission for the Parkman Memorial, French was nearing completion of the John Boyle O’Reilly statue in the Back Bay Fens. Designed with the architect C. Howard Walker, it was placed in 1896 at the corner of the Fenway and Boylston Street. This was the first piece of public statuary in the Olmsted Park system. The Parkman Memorial would be the second.

The Parkman Memorial sculpture is that of an Iroquois sachem staring north across Jamaica Plain. Nothing survives to suggest that any image other than that of an American Indian was proposed to honor Parkman. Francis Parkman himself described what the proper monument should look like and no doubt his daughter Grace pointed out the words in the chapter he wrote on Indian tribes in the Conspiracy of Pontiac (1851): “Some races of men seem molded in wax, soft and feeble… but the Indian is hewn out of rock. It is in the native wilds alone that the Indian must be seen and studied. Thus to depict him is the aim of the ensuing history: and if, from the shades of rock and forest, the savage features should look too grimly forth it is because of the tempestuous clouds of war.”

The basic design we see today of a standing chief set in deep relief in a single block of granite had been roughed out by French by 1901. The concept of the figure emerging literally out of living rock was a unique sculptural style for French and in American sculpture, but it seemed to be almost an intuitive idea for him as he considered the life work of Francis Parkman. Grace Parkman Coolidge approved the bronze relief of her father that French designed and cast for the base of the shaft.

In her 1947 biography of her father, Margaret French Cresson (1889-1973) wrote about the memorial: “In the center [was] a shaft twenty feet in height with a figure of an Indian cut into the stone, the upper part in the round and projecting hardly at all beyond the face of the granite. It was a rather a new idea and very effective.” (D. C. French would carve only one other monument in deep relief, the majestic Melvin Memorial at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Concord, dedicated in 1908 and clearly inspired by the Parkman.) The original design had both a male and female figure standing in deep relief on separate slabs of stone connected by a stone lintel, but this idea was discarded by early 1905 for the single Indian. The model of this was approved in June 1905. The thirty-foot-long foundation for the memorial was dug on the same site as Parkman’s cottage. In 1906 the huge block of gray granite was quarried at Quincy and shipped to Boston to be carved by the master artisan Francesco C. Recchia (1859-1921) in his studio at 359 Boylston Street1. French did the final carving in October 1906, on site after it had been erected, and the memorial was completed on November 20, 1906.

When it was finally erected in 1906 after nine years of effort, the Parkman Memorial was the first public sculpture in Boston to portray a Native American. One has to literally walk up to within a few feet of the monument to see the relief and the name of Francis Parkman. This was certainly the intention; it is a monument more to the achievements of the man, than to the man himself.

In 1912, a second statue using the American Indian was designed by Cyrus Dallin. The Appeal to the Great Spirit, a great equestrian Indian sculpture, was set up at the entrance to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. The Parkman Memorial and Appeal to the Great Spirit remain the only two statues to the Native American in Boston to this day. But they are two different Indians: Dallin’s Plains chief astride his exhausted horse is doomed as he lifts his arms for deliverance. But the Iroquois that French carved for the Parkman Memorial is proud and defiant, exactly the way Francis Parkman portrayed the Indian in his histories.

Neglect and vandalism plagued Boston public art in the 1970s, and in 1973 the bronze relief of Francis Parkman was stolen. In September 1988 this writer asked the Henderson Foundation if it would underwrite the restoration of the monument and replace the plaque. In response, Henry Lee, chairman of the Adopt-a-Statue program, visited the Memorial with John Galvin of the Henderson Foundation and Mary Shannon, Executive Secretary of the Boston Art Commission. Funds were approved in 1989 and the granite was cleaned and repointed. Replacing the bronze plaque required skill and ingenuity. The original plaster cast of the plaque was lost, and the only reference was a single photograph in the archives at Chesterwood, the summer home and studio of D. C. French in Stockbridge, Mass. (owned and managed since 1969 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation).

The outline of the original plaque was still plainly visible on the base of the shaft and this was carefully traced. The photograph of the plaster cast was enlarged until it fit exactly the outline drawing. Using that as a reference, Addio de Bascari made a new plaster mold cast by sculptor Robert Shure. The new bronze plaque was installed on September 14, 1990. Mary Shannon guided all the work every step of the way.

The Parkman Memorial did not have a dedication ceremony. To correct that mistake, the Jamaica Plain Historical Society rededicated the Memorial on Francis Parkman’s birthday, September 16, 1990.

The Parkman Memorial in September 1990 shortly after restoration was complete.

The summer house of Francis Parkman from Prince Street. Photograph taken in 1894 shortly before it was razed for Jamaica Park. Courtesy of the Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site.

The new plaque after installation in September 1990. Photograph by Richard Heath.

Plaster bust of Francis Parkman complete with Roman toga designed and modeled by Martin Milmore. Presented to the Massachusetts Horticultural Society in February 1876. Parkman was President of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society from 1874 to 1878 and before that was Chair of the Library Committee for a decade. It was displayed in the Trustees Room at Horticultural Hall where this photograph was taken by Richard Heath in June 1989. Afterwards, it was removed to Wellesley and put in a file room.

http://www.jphs.org/people/2005/4/14/parkman-memorial.html

******************

francis parkman oregon trail book

The Oregon Trail & The Conspiracy of Pontiac

francis parkman OT map.jpg

Map of the Oregon Trail from Independence, MO to Oregon City, OR

Francis Parkman Oregon Trail painting 1925 by N.C. Wyeth

Francis Parkman 1925 by Wyeth at the Oregon Trail painting

francis parkman OT oglala sioux arrows 1846.jpg

Oglala Sioux Indian arrows collected by Francis Parkman in 1846 on Oregon Trail

 

 francis parkman OT oglala sioux peace pipe 1846.jpg
Oglala Sioux Indian peace pipe collected by Francis Parkman in 1846 on Oregon Trail
francis parkman OT oglala sioux shield 1846.jpg
Oglala Sioux Indian shield collected by Francis Parkman in 1846 on Oregon Trail.
francis parkman OT oglala souix bow 1846.jpg
Oglala Sioux Indian bow collected by Francis Parkman in 1846 on Oregon Trail.
https://earlyamericanists.com/2015/08/04/after-the-trail/
Massachussetts Historical Society has 137 items when you Search: Parkman:
http://www.masshist.org/search?terms=parkman
francis parkman writing screen orange paper red ink blind.jpg
Francis Parkman’s writing screen as he was poor eye sight he used orange paper and red ink.
francis parkman OT ShoshonecampforWEB
Oregon Trail Shoshone Indians
francis parkman OT OWDR-ox-drawn-on-the-Oregon-Trail1
Oregon Trail ox driven wagons
francis parkman OT oregon trail
francis parkman grave
Francis Parkman was buried on Indian Ridge at Mt. Auburn Cemetery.
Birth: Sep. 16, 1823
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA
Death: Nov. 8, 1893
Boston
Suffolk County
Massachusetts, USA

Historian. Born in Boston, Massachusetts, son of a wealthy family, Parkman suffered poor health and spent his childhood in the forests of nearby Medford, Massachusetts in hopes of toughening him up. He enrolled in Harvard University at 16. In 1843 he travelled to Europe the Grand Tour, and upon his return attended law school at his father’s request. In the summer of 1845 he traveled west. His guide was married to a Sioux woman, and the connection allowed Parkman to spend several weeks living with the Sioux. The trip exhausted him but his best known work was the result; ‘The Oregon Trail: Sketches of Prairie and Rocky-Mountain Life’ published in 1849. Despite continued poor health, he also completed his ‘History of the Conspiracy of Pontiac’ by 1851. He served briefly a Horticulture lecturer at Harvard and authored several books on the topic including ‘The Book of Roses.’ His chronic illnesses were apparently both debilitating and neurological and were never properly diagnosed. He was often unable to walk, he suffered increasing blindness, and was unable to stand any but the slightest amount of light. Despite the problem of only being able to write for very short periods at a time, he still managed to complete ‘Pioneers of France in the New World,’ ‘The Jesuits in North America in the 17th Century,’ ‘Discovery of the Great West,’ ‘Old Regime in Canada,’ ‘Count Frontenac and New France Under Louis XIV,’ ‘Montcalm and Woolfe’ and ‘A Half-Century of Conflict’ between 1865 and 1892. He was also a founder of the Archaeological Institute of America and a president of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. (bio by: Iola)Family links:
Parents:
Francis Parkman (1788 – 1852)
Caroline Hall Parkman (1794 – 1871)Spouse:
Catherine Scollay Bigelow Parkman (1824 – 1858)*

Children:
Grace Parkman Coffin (1851 – 1928)*
Francis Parkman (1855 – 1857)*

Siblings:
Francis Parkman (1823 – 1893)
Caroline Hall Parkman Cordner (1825 – 1908)*
Mary Brooks Parkman (1830 – 1866)*
Eliza Willard Shaw Parkman (1832 – 1905)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Mount Auburn Cemetery
Cambridge
Middlesex County
Massachusetts, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: Find A Grave
Record added: Jan 01, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 793
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=parkman&GSfn=francis&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=21&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=793&df=all&
*********************************
Francis Parkman historian.jpg

Francis Parkman

18238. NovemberAmerican Academy of Arts and Sciences

aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie

Parkman-Memorial in Jamaica Plain (Mass.)
Parkman-Memorial in Jamaica Plain (Mass.)

Francis Parkman (* 16. September 1823 in Boston; † 8. November 1893 in Jamaica Plain (Massachusetts)) war ein US-amerikanischer Historiker.

In seiner Jugend lebte Parkman zeitweise unter Indianern und beschrieb dies in The Oregon Trail von 1849. Später wurde Parkman Professor in Harvard. 1855 wurde er in die American Academy of Arts and Sciences gewählt.

In seinen Arbeiten untersuchte er die nordamerikanische Kolonialgeschichte. Sein Hauptwerk ist der Gesamtüberblick in sieben BändenFrance and England in North America, an dem er von 1865 bis 1892 arbeitete.

Ihm zu Ehren ist der Francis Parkman Prize benannt.

Werke

  • The Oregon Trail (1847)
  • The Conspiracy of Pontiac (1851)
  • Vassall Morton (1856), Roman
  • The Pioneers of France in the New World (1865)
  • The Book of Roses (1866)
  • The Jesuits in North America in the Seventeenth Century (1867)
  • La Salle and the Discovery of the Great West (1869)
  • The Old Régime in Canada (1874)
  • Count Frontenac and New France under Louis XIV (1877)
  • Montcalm and Wolfe (1884)
  • A Half Century of Conflict (1892)
moderne Ausgaben
  • France and England in North America. 2 Bände, hrsg. von David Levin. Library of America, New York 1983.
  • The Oregon Trail, The Conspiracy of Pontiac. Hrsg. von William R. Taylor. Library of America, New York 1991.
  • The Journals of Francis Parkman. 2 Bände, hrsg. von Mason Wade. Harper, New York 1947.
  • The Letters of Francis Parkman. 2 Bände, hrsg. von Wilbur R. Jacobs. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman 1960.

Sekundärliteratur

  • Charles Haight Farnham: A Life of Francis Parkman. Little, Brown, and Co., Boston 1900.
  • Robert L. Gale: Francis Parkman (= Twayne’s United States Authors Series 220). Twayne, New York 1973,ISBN 0-8057-0582-1.
  • Wilbur R. Jacobs: Francis Parkman, Historian as Hero: The Formative Years. University of Texas Press, Austin 1991, ISBN 0-292-72467-5.
  • Francis Jennings: Francis Parkman: A Brahmin among Untouchables. In: The William and Mary Quarterly42:3, 1985, S. 305–328.
  • David Levin: History as Romantic Art: Bancroft, Prescott, Motley, and Parkman. Stanford University Press, Stanford CA 1959.
  • Otis A. Pease: Parkman’s History: The Historian as Literary Artist. Yale University Press, New Haven 1953.
  • Hans Schmidt: Francis Parkman als Historiker. In: Archiv für Kulturgeschichte 53, 1971, S. 140–153.
  • Henry Dwight Sedgwick: Francis Parkman. Houghton, Mifflin and Co., Boston 1904.
  • Richard C. Vitzthum: The American Compromise: Theme and Method in the Histories of Bancroft, Parkman, and Adams. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman 1974.
  • Mason Wade: Francis Parkman: Heroic Historian. Viking, New York 1942.

http://www.wikiwand.com/de/Francis_Parkman

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: